Position Battles-- ATL 3B -- Mark DeRosa vs. Russ Branyan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position Battles-- ATL 3B -- Mark DeRosa vs. Russ Branyan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who gets the nod for 3B in Hotlanta

Mark DeRosa
78%
Russ Branyan
22%

Total votes : 9

Position Battles-- ATL 3B -- Mark DeRosa vs. Russ Branyan

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:29 am

Mark has a enough career AB's that we know he is going to be pretty much a .270 hitter with little or no power and even less speed. But it sounds like ATL is giving him the job? Why?

Adam, errr uggh ahh, I mean Russell Dunn will be battling a not very good Derosa for the 3B job and has much more upside than DeRosa. Like Derosa has any upside ::obvious toungue in cheek::

But this battle could be worth watching. Branyon could make a nice sub in deeper leagues, and his Dunn like average may not hurt you if his AB's are limited by DeRosa.

Trev .. Are they really goona have DeRosa play at 3rd? Like all the time? 8-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jivedude » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:54 am

Maybe Eli Marrero could factor in. I hear he's going to get some work at 3b this spring.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:08 am

Jivedude wrote:Maybe Eli Marrero could factor in. I hear he's going to get some work at 3b this spring.

now that would be nice ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:24 am

AJC wrote:
Mr. All or Nothing

Batting practice figures to get more interesting once slugger Russell Branyan reports to camp. He's known for tape-measure homers . . . and strikeouts.

Branyan hit 69 homers with a staggering 428 strikeouts in 1,062 major league at-bats over the past four seasons with Cleveland and Cincinnati. He has a .227 career average in parts of six seasons in the majors.

"He's all-or-nothing," Cox said. "Terry [Pendleton, hitting coach] will try to get him to make more contact."

Branyan is a non-roster invitee whose power could get him consideration for a job as a pinch-hitter and reserve corner infielder and outfielder.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:00 am

AJC wrote:Lake Buena Vista, Fla. -- There might be one thing -- and one only -- that Braves third baseman Mark DeRosa misses about being a bench player.

"I won't have the luxury of eating a turkey sandwich and peanut butter cups in the middle of a game," said DeRosa, who developed that in-game routine while serving as a utility infielder the past few seasons.

Now he's penciled in as the third baseman, and can't take a mid-innings snack or quick round of batting practice before a late-innings substitution.

But those are minor luxuries that he'll happily forgo for the chance to play every day at one position.

Third baseman Vinny Castilla wasn't re-signed and the Braves said the job is DeRosa's to lose. Since he's no longer required to work at other positions, he's able to focus daily on the finer aspects of playing third base.

"It's a position I feel comfortable at," he said, "but I've got to learn the intangibles. You saw Vinny, how he was always in the right position. That's just from years of playing third, knowing the hitters and pitchers."

DeRosa, 29, asks plenty of questions of coaches Terry Pendleton and Glenn Hubbard, and Chipper Jones, who played third before Castilla.

"The biggest thing for anybody to get better at something is, to be able to work at it," Pendleton said. "He just needs repetitions, seeing how the ball comes off the bat, learning how guys pitch to different guys, where to play on bunts for different pitchers. [John] Smoltz may get to a bunt and make a play that [Kevin] Gryboski might not make.

"DeRo was an average defensive player. When he gets to play every day at one position, I think he can be better."

He needn't look over his shoulder or worry about being replaced if he makes a few mistakes. But that's not the way DeRosa, a .278 career hitter with 14 home runs and 68 RBIs in 666 at-bats, is approaching it.

"I think the team is pretty much set, but decisions can change," said DeRosa, who looks around and sees others with third-base potential, including former Cardinal Eli Marrero and journeyman Russ Branyan.

"I know what they're capable of. I came up with Russ and watched him hit 40 home runs two years in a row. I saw what Eli's done with St. Louis."

The Braves have enough confidence in DeRosa that they didn't try to re-sign Castilla or pursue another third baseman this winter.

"He can do it," said veteran first baseman Julio Franco. "DeRo's strong; he was a football player. He's got a good body and he works hard, on and off the field. It's nice to see him get a chance."

A three-year starting quarterback at the University of Pennsylvania, DeRosa was selected by the Braves in the seventh round of the 1996 draft. He spent three seasons in the minors before a September 1998 callup.

He didn't get more than 13 at-bats in a season with Atlanta until 2001, and an ankle injury the following season slowed his progress.

Last season, he hit .263 with six homers and started 54 games, 18 at third.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:07 am

I think that DeRosa has the makings of a .300 hitter, if he gets to play everyday. But again, with no power and less speed. So only useful as a utility player in a 14-player NL-only league. :-P
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:14 pm

I'd have to give the edge to DeRosa. I'm not a big fan of Branyan. Of course either one is just a temporary stop-gap for Andy Marte to get a little more minor league experience.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:18 pm

If Marte gets off to a hot start and No one takes command at 3B for the Braves Marte might get a shot mid-season, if not sooner.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 pm

666 career ABs eh? That's always a good sign. Still, I like DeRosa much better than Branyan.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers