Mondesi joins Pirates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates

Mondesi joins Pirates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mondesi joins Pirates

Postby WebHamster » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:01 am

Bradenton, FL (Sports Network) - The Pittsburgh Pirates have come to terms with outfielder Raul Mondesi on a one-year contract. The deal includes a club option for the 2005 season.

The 32-year-old Mondesi joins his fifth team since starting his major league career with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1993. He was named National League Rookie of the Year the following season when he hit .306 with 16 homers and 56 RBI.

An All-Star in 1995 and a two-time Gold Glove winner, Mondesi is coming off a season that saw him hit .272 with 24 home runs, 71 RBI and 22 stolen bases in 143 combined games with the New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks. He was traded by New York to Arizona on July 29.

Mondesi has six career seasons with at least 20 homers and 20 steals. Last season also marked his ninth straight year with at least 20 home runs.

The Dodgers traded Mondesi to the Blue Jays in the deal that brought Shawn Green to Los Angeles in November, 1999. In the middle of the 2002 season, Mondesi was traded by the Blue Jays to the Yankees.

Mondesi is expected to play in right field. Reggie Sanders, who spent the majority of last season in right for Pittsburgh, was signed by St. Louis in the offseason. Matt Stairs, who also spent time in right, was signed by Kansas City.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 567)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby harry_karry » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:24 am

mondesi is a stud defender, i dont know about his defensive skills though
If the moon was made out of spare ribs would you eat it....ur thoughts
Cubs Win...Cubs Win...
harry_karry
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:56 am

i'll assume you meant offense for the skills you doubt, and agree. can't wait to see him play some D though. he can hit .265/23/80 which unfortunately would be nice nice for us. what i worry about is his clubhouse influence and taking PT away from a deserving younger player like craig wilson or jj davis.
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:51 pm

cool...finally this happens. now i dont think they will fall to last this year. with a lot of youngins getting playing time this year i think we will be ok, not .500, but not like detroit last year or anything. i like our outfield and infield this year, the SPs arent BAD either, its just the bullpen that scares me :-o
NittanyLions
College Coach
College Coach

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:49 am

Mondesi will just turn into this year's Lofton - show new promise from his old skills, and ship him off to a team in the division when their RF goes down...

Seriously, I hope Mondesi has a big bat this year. I want to get to .500 dangit!!! If the offense does a little better and the bullpen doesn't blow 30+ games again, it could happen! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates