You must be Kidding me ... Its a fricking baseball .. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You must be Kidding me ... Its a fricking baseball ..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You must be Kidding me ... Its a fricking baseball ..

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:30 am

Pappas wrote:Melissa Isaacson of the Chicago Tribune reports that at 7:31 PM this Thursday, the foul ball tipped by Steve Bartman in Game 6 of the NLCS will be destroyed before a national cable audience by Oscar-winning special effects artist Michael Lantieri. For now, the ball is on display at Harry Caray's Restaurant, under security Tom Ridge would envy:

"Thirteen surveillance cameras are trained on the ball inside the reinforced, tempered-glass case, with two alarms tied directly to the police station. At its peak exposure, when the ball is traveling to Wrigley Field on Wednesday, a day before its destruction, 11 armed guards will accompany it."

Grant DePorter, managing partner of Harry Caray's restaurant chain, paid $113,824.16 for the ball last December -- $20,000 more than actor Charlie Sheen paid in 1992 for the ball that rolled through Bill Buckner's legs to end Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Its final day will be spent in luxury:

"In its last 24 hours, the ball's schedule calls for a trip — by armored car, of course — to Wrigley Field 'just to say goodbye,' DePorter said. Then it's on to the Amalfi Hotel Chicago, where a fluffed pillow, luxury suite and even a masseuse will await.

"A server from Harry Caray's will present the last meal of steak, lobster and a Budweiser, all of which will be on roped-off display to the public — 'kind of like Lincoln's Bedroom,' DePorter said."

No word whether any White Sox fans plan to make like John Wilkes Booth. Imagine how insufferable the Cubs and their fans would be like if their club ever actually won a World Series? Good thing we're never likely to find out...

wonder what we can do to steal that ball .. :-? hmmm ....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:26 am

Any word on how it will be destroyed? Your article said by the Special Effects Guy, but I wonder how they'll do it.

Your right though, way too much fuss over a baseball. And I'm a Cubs fan. They should find the ball that Alex Gonzalez botched and destroy that, that was more costly to the loss than the Bartman ball.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:03 am

Andy1234 wrote:Any word on how it will be destroyed? Your article said by the Special Effects Guy, but I wonder how they'll do it.

Your right though, way too much fuss over a baseball. And I'm a Cubs fan. They should find the ball that Alex Gonzalez botched and destroy that, that was more costly to the loss than the Bartman ball.

Either that or the ball that Dusty left in Prior's hand when he should have taken him out.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:09 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Andy1234 wrote:Any word on how it will be destroyed? Your article said by the Special Effects Guy, but I wonder how they'll do it.

Either that or the ball that Dusty left in Prior's hand when he should have taken him out.

LOL ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby Beardown » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:12 am

The coolest part of that story is the reason behind buying the thing in the first place. To date they have raised nearly $1 Million Dollars for Children with Diabetes Foundation! What a great way to raise charitable funds and have fun by bringing even more interest to baseball. ;-D
Beardown
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shogun » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:59 am

Since a special effects guy is "destroying" it, how will we know if it was REALLY destroyed? The guy won an Oscar for making us believe things that didn't really happen.

Just give the ball to Bartman. Nobody deserves it more than him since he will live with this for the rest of his life....and then some.

Shogun
Attack them when unprepared, make your move when they do not expect it. - Sun Tzu
Shogun
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:48 am

wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

LOL ;-D

Definitely find the ball that Alex Gonzalez muffed trying to turn a routine double play? :-/

The whole Bartman thing is stupid in my opinion. Even though I'm Cubs fan I was very perturbed by the number of fellow fans that were all wrapped up in this so-called curse. Sure it was a curse, it was the curse of the scrappy Florida Marlins playing three solid games in a row and handing our a** on a plate!

Like someone said though, it was all part of a contest that has raised a lot of money for a great cause. ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby princethomas » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:06 pm

Anyone know if Bartman will be present? They said they wanted him to be present to help him get rid of his demons.
-T
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:17 pm

princethomas wrote:Anyone know if Bartman will be present? They said they wanted him to be present to help him get rid of his demons.
-T

It's probably a setup. They want to get him there and then make him and the ball disappear. ;-) I feel for the disappointment of the Cub fans but blaming him for anything is just wrong.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Money down the drain...

Postby lifeform » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:23 pm

I can't help but be reminded of the old cliche about having more money than brains...
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers