Verlander? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Verlander?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Verlander?

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Ask yourself this: If you didn't own Verlander, would you try to buy low? Hell yeah you would - so how does it make any sense at all to sell low?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm hoping it's just a combination of bad factors. He claims he feels good and many say his stuff is excellent so this is just very puzzling. At least against the Sox he had a nice stretch prior to the 8th inning. I'm just glad he doesn't look as bad as C.C. }:-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RC » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Nothing's really going right in Detroit right now, so I'd expect things will turn around for him once the team gets on track as a whole.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 am

I do worry about his lack of velocity and his controp is as bad as it's ever been. He could simply be battling a tire arm thing that pitchers go through. He doesn't look to be hurt. I think the Tigers should really try and find another pitching coach since Hernandez hasn't been able to help V, Bonderman, or Robertson get any better than they were when he hired in. In fact they may have regressed.

I say hold right now on V, but if someone makes a good offer don't blindly reject it.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:07 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Ask yourself this: If you didn't own Verlander, would you try to buy low? Hell yeah you would - so how does it make any sense at all to sell low?

Verlander went 3 rounds too early in drafts so I wouldn't own him in the first place. So personally if for some odd reason he fell to me I'd probably consider selling low on him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby spark0901 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:14 am

Something else to keep in mind is that three out of four of his starts have come against the White Sox and Indians, two teams that have absolutely owned him in the past.
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 am

Rotundor wrote:
dipset wrote:One question...what happened to the upper 90's fastball?

I asked someone that and apparently his velocity is right where it should be and the reason he sucks turds right now is because he's going out there and trying to pitcher a no-hitter every time he's out there and he's trying to shoulder the whole load himself.

Actually it seems like the exact opposite

Listening to the Tiger's announcers last night, it seemed like the change in pitching approach this season for Verlander is a concious choice. :-S

Apparently Verlander's thought-process is that an "ace" should be pitching into the 7th or 8th every night, which is tough for a strikeout pitcher to do (he historically has reached the 100 pitch plateau around the fifth or sixth). So, apparently he's changed his approach in order to pitch to more contact. Instead of gassing guys with his 95+ stuff, he's trying to focus on keeping it down to 92-93 and getting more outs, throwing four or five pitches per batter, rather than six or seven. I'm not sure why he'd even think about changing what has worked for him in the past, but apparently this is his (and Chuck Hernandez') "plan"... :-t

It may take a few more games for him to get his head back on straight and start using the flame-thrower again, but the stuff is definitely still there. He's been in the high 90's several times in each game so far, but always dials it back down. He just needs to get back to using it as his primary pitch, rather than the bs off-speed and BP crap he's throwing now. He's obviously not successful as a "contact pitcher".
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brock middlebrook » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:48 am

I'm not worried

he'll be fine

I'm starting him with confidence next time out.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:24 am

brock middlebrook wrote:I'm not worried

he'll be fine

I'm starting him with confidence next time out.

Interesting. I can see why anyone would advise patience here. But why in the world would you be starting him "with confidence"? Are you enjoying the way he's murdering your numbers every time out?

I don't mean to be rude, but if there's a REASON for immediate optimism I'd sure like to hear it.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 am

2 starts ago, against the white sox.....he looked absolutely dominant until Leyland left him in too long in the 8th inning.

There is no reason to worry gentlemen, Detroit definitely needs some bullpen help though. Leyland is consistently leaving his starters in too long to make up for the crappy bullpen.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers