whats better to have for pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats better to have for pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

whats better to have for pitching?

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:55 am

relievers or closers for the relief pitchers spot on ur roster?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:28 am

i would also like to know opnions on this, but i would say closers - if they are decent. in that relievers slot i would imagine u want guys that will have saves, good whip, and good era. good closers like gagne, smoltz and wagner will do all 3. average closers like jorge julio will give you 30+ saves, will will kill you ERA and WHIP. in the case where i couldnt get a decent closer, i would probably rather have a great reliever that will give me 2 categories (WHIP and ERA) like soriano or mota, rather than an average closer who will help me in one (Saves). dunoo how right i am, im still a fantasy rookie
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballin storm » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:30 am

It's always good to have solid closers, but they can be hard to come by in a 12 man leauge. I like to have at least two guys like B.Lidge and R.Soriano who help get your WHIP and ERA down. They helped me win last year.
baseballin storm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:11 am

It's difficult to say exactly without knowing your league type (roto or H2H) and scoring cats. For the most part, I like more starters than relievers. Out of the relievers, I usually go 100% with closers. If I stray from that, I might pick up 1 middle reliever who is a dominant type with a low ERA and WHIP. Someone like Dotel or Hawkins from last year. Of course, this is assuming that you don't use holds as a cat.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:56 am

RynMan wrote:i would also like to know opnions on this, but i would say closers - if they are decent. in that relievers slot i would imagine u want guys that will have saves, good whip, and good era. good closers like gagne, smoltz and wagner will do all 3. average closers like jorge julio will give you 30+ saves, will will kill you ERA and WHIP. in the case where i couldnt get a decent closer, i would probably rather have a great reliever that will give me 2 categories (WHIP and ERA) like soriano or mota, rather than an average closer who will help me in one (Saves). dunoo how right i am, im still a fantasy rookie

Also, remember that in leagues with an inning limit, K/9 is more important than total K's, so a good closer will be a 4-category stud, just like a good starter.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers