Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Niemann's stuff is legit, but his command is not as good as he showed in his first start. He will have some ups and downs throughout the year due to the command. Coming out of Rice, he just wasn't as polished as most people though and then the injury set him back over a year as well. He still needs this year to work on his command, so he can hopefully come into his own in the next year or so. As far as Hammel, he is just not very good in a starting role. He has a good fastball, but that is about it. He might could "possibly" work out as a 7th inning man due to his fastball, but he should in no way be counted on going more then two innings and having to face batters more then once.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:57 pm

I think he's worth a shot. Considering how bad some starters have been there isn't much risk if you can get him pretty cheap. I expect for him to stick with the big club unless his control implodes. I expect Billingsley type of K's and BB's out of him so he'll be frustrating at times...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:45 am

Niemann Optioned back down to Durham

ST. PETERSBURG -- A week after recording his first Major League victory, Jeff Niemann was optioned to Triple-A Durham on Sunday to make room on the 25-man roster for first baseman Dan Johnson, who was claimed off waivers from the A's.

Niemann picked up the win in his first Major League start, April 13 against the Orioles, then he took the loss Friday night against the White Sox. Johnson has not yet arrived, but a move had to be made Sunday, and Niemann turned out to be the guy.

"I knew that was a possibility," said Niemann, who posted a 5.79 ERA. "[There are] a lot of guys here, and that's just how it works."

Several other moves are yet to be made. Catcher Dioner Navarro is expected to be activated from the disabled list prior to Tuesday's game, which means one of the backup backstops will need to return to Durham.

"Navvy has to play tomorrow night, and we'll see how he comes through that before we make our final move Tuesday," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.

In other rehab news, Matt Garza has been tabbed to be the Rays' starter on Friday against the Red Sox. Garza pitched 3 2/3 innings in a start for Class A Vero Beach on Sunday. Since a pitcher was sent down Sunday to make room for a position player, a position player will be sent out Friday to make room for Garza.

Niemann would have pitched Thursday. Now, Andy Sonnanstine will move up from Friday to fill that slot.

"I'm going to take away a wealth of information from the seven days I've been up here," Niemann said. "[I'm going to] go back and really put that to use."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers