Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Niemann

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:23 am

What do you guys think about him? If h he has another good start tomorrow, any chance he sticks in the rotation?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Postby jsphlly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:24 am

I've always had good luck with TB. Looking at this guy in my league. He faces off vs. Vazquez tomorrow.

2007 Durham, looks like he had a decent K/9, but an average ERA, and a poor WHIP and BB/9.

Any insight?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:07 am

i think if u want him bad you buy but his stock isnt high enough to sell since not too many people know about him

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Re: Jeff Niemann

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 pm

He should, especially if Sonnanstine keeps pitching the way he is. I think he would stick over Hammel, who could be better suited in the bullpen. It depends on how Jackson performs, though.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:What do you guys think about him? If h he has another good start tomorrow, any chance he sticks in the rotation?

I think he sticks in the rotation. It is past the arbitration time so that isn't a concern anymore (this is the reason i think he went to Durham and not Hammel anyway out of ST). Also, Sonny is more of a bullpen guy as is Hammel. They even had Sonny in the pen last night in case they needed him. I think when everyone is healthy the rotation will be like this:

Kaz
Shields
Garza
Jackson
Niemann
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jeff Niemann: Buy or Sell?

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 pm

jsphlly wrote:I've always had good luck with TB. Looking at this guy in my league. He faces off vs. Vazquez tomorrow.

2007 Durham, looks like he had a decent K/9, but an average ERA, and a poor WHIP and BB/9.

Any insight?

Depends on how deep your league is. Niemann's "stuff" is amazing, but he has always had control problems. He says it is hard for someone his size to repeat his throwing motion everytime and sometimes it just gets away from him. You saw in his first start what he can do when he does repeat the motion and has his control.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:What do you guys think about him? If h he has another good start tomorrow, any chance he sticks in the rotation?

I think he sticks in the rotation. It is past the arbitration time so that isn't a concern anymore (this is the reason i think he went to Durham and not Hammel anyway out of ST). Also, Sonny is more of a bullpen guy as is Hammel. They even had Sonny in the pen last night in case they needed him. I think when everyone is healthy the rotation will be like this:

Kaz
Shields
Garza
Jackson
Niemann

You would rather have Jackson then Hammel in the rotation?
I would give Hammel every chance to prove himself as a starter.
Jackson would get the boot to the bullpen. He is supposed to have the "stuff" to clean up big time in there.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Kaz
Shields
Garza
Jackson
Niemann

You would rather have Jackson then Hammel in the rotation?
I would give Hammel every chance to prove himself as a starter.
Jackson would get the boot to the bullpen. He is supposed to have the "stuff" to clean up big time in there.

Hammel is terrible if you actually watch him pitch. He has gotten extremely lucky in his past couple starts. I made the comment to RUMP in the Rays forum that I thought he may be coming around, but then I went back and watched a couple of his starts again on my TIVO and he has just gotten lucky. Jackson is a much better pitcher.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:40 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Hammel is terrible if you actually watch him pitch. He has gotten extremely lucky in his past couple starts. I made the comment to RUMP in the Rays forum that I thought he may be coming around, but then I went back and watched a couple of his starts again on my TIVO and he has just gotten lucky. Jackson is a much better pitcher.

Thanks deeray, I appreciate when you say things like this because I can't usually see for myself (3-4 random games a week here is not enough) ;-D ;-D (clicks positive feedback)
Looking at minor league numbers, I would have taken Hammel 100 times out of 100.
Surely if Jackson looks better, but still sucks as a starter they'd have made him a closer by now. :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:44 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Hammel is terrible if you actually watch him pitch. He has gotten extremely lucky in his past couple starts. I made the comment to RUMP in the Rays forum that I thought he may be coming around, but then I went back and watched a couple of his starts again on my TIVO and he has just gotten lucky. Jackson is a much better pitcher.

Thanks deeray, I appreciate when you say things like this because I can't usually see for myself (3-4 random games a week here is not enough) ;-D ;-D (clicks positive feedback)
Looking at minor league numbers, I would have taken Hammel 100 times out of 100.
Surely if Jackson looks better, but still sucks as a starter they'd have made him a closer by now. :-S

The problem with Jackson when they tried him in the pen is that he actually gets better the more he pitches. The guy throws harder and pitches better when his pitch count is between 60-110 pitches. Do be a good pitcher he needs to be out there every 5th day and needs to throw a lot

** Also on Hammel -- His MILB numbers are better, but I think that is more to do with Niemann's injury early on and the fact that the Rays were working with him on developing different pitches and strategies, while Hammel had a good fastball makes him a good AAAA pitcher.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers