Max Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Max Scherzer

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 11:24 am

The Cow wrote:
Yoda wrote:Kid has a great fastball no doubt. He flashed a couple of breaking balls that looked awesome but for the most part I wasn't too impressed especially his command of them.

I'll have to watch him next time out but he remindede me of Pelfrey.

Scherzer while he may have reminded you of Pelfrey is a far far better prospect than Pelfrey ever was based on their minor league numbers.

K/9, WHIP, ERA, K/BB all these indicators point to Scherzer being the better pitcher. It was one bad outing and even at that it was not a terrible outing.

The Cow

Well obviously my observation was based on one start. Not saying he will be like Pelfrey. He just reminded me of him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue May 06, 2008 11:56 am

I wouldn't say the Pelfrey comparison is all that bad. Take a look in '06 when Pelfrey was 22, same as Max, and went through A, AA, and AAA just like Max with the same type of production. It wasn't until last year when Pelfrey's stock took a hit. Their college careers are pretty similar as well.

Anyway, I have yet to see either guy pitch but it wouldn't suprise me one bit that Max flew through the minors in large part due to his fastball....he can't live on that alone in the bigs. But like I said, I haven't seen him pitch yet, other than a couple of highlights. Should be fun to follow!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby gws226 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:31 pm

I didn't get to see any of the game last night, but I can't imagine what it would be like to come out all the hype, pressure, and all eyes expecting a 9 inning 18k performance. I can see someone trying to overcompensate in those circumstances. With all that said, he did come out and had a smooth fourth despite all that happened, and to me at least it didn't defly logic that he didn't come out to pitch the 5th after tossing 95pitches.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Scherzer's breaking ball >>>>>> Pelfrey's breaking ball (not even close IMO)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue May 06, 2008 2:31 pm

hybrid wrote:Scherzer's breaking ball >>>>>> Pelfrey's breaking ball (not even close IMO)

Hey Hybrid, does he have any other pitches? I'd be curious how good his change is?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby hybrid » Tue May 06, 2008 2:32 pm

J35J wrote:I wouldn't say the Pelfrey comparison is all that bad. Take a look in '06 when Pelfrey was 22, same as Max, and went through A, AA, and AAA just like Max with the same type of production. It wasn't until last year when Pelfrey's stock took a hit. Their college careers are pretty similar as well.

Pelfrey's stock took a hit when people realized he had no secondary pitches to speak of. He was built up to have a great sinking FB, mixed with a above average to plus change (which isn't the case) and a promising breaking ball (which once again hasn't happened). Their FB's are similiar, Scherzer easily has a better breaking pitch though I still see him as a future closer type guy unless some things change.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 2:41 pm

hybrid wrote:Scherzer's breaking ball >>>>>> Pelfrey's breaking ball (not even close IMO)

I am sure since I am only going by one Scherzer start. He did snapped off a few sliders that looked very good but for the most part lacked the command he had with his fastball. Same thing with his change up. He wasn't as sharp with the pitch compared to his fastball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers