Max Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Max Scherzer

Postby RAmst23 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Even if your league does have a P spot, Scherzer isn't as valuable in a weekly league. I'll have to either bench a closer or a SP for the week to fit him in. If he doesn't get SP status, I'll have a really hard time using him.

That being said, it seems like he'll have enough starts to get it. Just hope he doesn't get shelled :-o
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

RAmst23 wrote:That being said, it seems like he'll have enough starts to get it. Just hope he doesn't get shelled :-o

Hope so man.
He'll pitch today and then Saturday. Then Davis is supposed to come back.
Also, the DBacks have an off day next Monday, so they might not want to push it with him innings wise. I hope he gets it man. :-o
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 05, 2008 2:26 pm

chipper wrote:
Yoda wrote:SP eligibility isn't a big deal. You can always bench your worst reliever for that one day he is starting.

Well that's if he continues to start, point is if he is moved to the pen prior to 3 starts, that's where the problem is.
I've got no problem benching a Closer for one of his starts (or even just waiting for him to get that SP status). However if he does not get it, then you really have nowhere to put him.

Well, that is the risk you take with any rookie with capable replacements competing for a job.

RAmst23 wrote:That being said, it seems like he'll have enough starts to get it. Just hope he doesn't get shelled :-o

This is a fact of life. He will get shelled at some point as you know and he will bounce back.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Bronx Zoo » Mon May 05, 2008 5:55 pm

:-? I'm sure the Yanks could use a Doug Davis if the Snakes wanna keep Mad Max in the rotation for the rest of the year :-L
Ladies and Gents, the FFBLCafe artist formerly known as AT, and owner of The 1st Place Soda Pop Hinskes...
The Bronx Zoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon May 05, 2008 6:11 pm

I´m a damned coward, so I´m starting in one league and sitting him in another :-b
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:57 am

got roughed up by the phillies...kinda like lincecum last year :-?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby NZ Eff » Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 am

Zhangman1 wrote:got roughed up by the phillies...kinda like lincecum last year :-?

He was far from roughed up. 2 ER's in 4 inning and 2 of the 7 hits came after the error by Drew and after Max had to work very hard to get out of the 4th. He k'd 5, made a very hot hitter in Burrell look stupid all night and simply got bit by the Phillies leftie hitters, who found holes rather than hit him hard.

He's slated to start against the Cubs on Saturday who are predominantly RH hitters and unless the wind is blowing out hard at Wrigley I would not hesitate to start him again. When Davis comes back Max will go to the pen but will still be worth holding onto in standard leagues.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 98)

Postby The Bronx Zoo » Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 am

Did you watch the same game I did? Utley was hitting BB's all night, and hell, Jamie Moyer hit a couple rockets off him too. Couple Dunkers a walk and a hit batter (questionable, but either way a real wild one). He was throwing strike one... obviously a good sign there. Consistently missing down and in to Righties and low and away to lefties with that sinker. Aside from a couple moments of brilliance blowing fastballs by people, yes Burrell looked terrible a couple times, but other than that he looked fairly ordinary to me. Does he throw anything that moves right to left? I swear all I saw was the sinker, change, and the hard one. I'm not panicking by last night by any means but he was defintely giving up some ropes and struggling with control at times. :-?
Ladies and Gents, the FFBLCafe artist formerly known as AT, and owner of The 1st Place Soda Pop Hinskes...
The Bronx Zoo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 10:33 am

Kid has a great fastball no doubt. He flashed a couple of breaking balls that looked awesome but for the most part I wasn't too impressed especially his command of them.

I'll have to watch him next time out but he remindede me of Pelfrey.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Cow » Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 am

Yoda wrote:Kid has a great fastball no doubt. He flashed a couple of breaking balls that looked awesome but for the most part I wasn't too impressed especially his command of them.

I'll have to watch him next time out but he remindede me of Pelfrey.

Scherzer while he may have reminded you of Pelfrey is a far far better prospect than Pelfrey ever was based on their minor league numbers.

K/9, WHIP, ERA, K/BB all these indicators point to Scherzer being the better pitcher. It was one bad outing and even at that it was not a terrible outing.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers