Max Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Max Scherzer

Postby jdsun1 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am

JoshExley wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:So how many people are hoping Mad Max gets roughed up a little bit so another owner drops him and you can pick him up???? I know for sure I am.

If he gets blown up, he is headed right back to the pen.

Against the phils? He will K 10 with Howard being 4 of those.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwrtlm » Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 am

I believe this is the same path Gallardo took last year. Rookie called up to a contending team to replace an injured starter. Pitched well then went to the pen for a week or 2, another injury prone starter got hurt, then Gallardo replaced him for the rest of the season. Lets see, Randy Johnson, injury prone, hasn't made it through a season in a while. If Scherzer goes out and lights it up like he can, I'd say they will have to drag him off the mound. If the fans get behind him it will even be tougher for them to keep him in the pen, unless he is closing. Off to the best start in franchise history, you have a guy who is recovering from cancer and a guy who back is as fragile as Rich Harden. I'd say Mad Max will be this year's Gallardo.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 am

[quote="cwrtlm"] Off to the best start in franchise history, you have a guy who is recovering from cancer and a guy who back is as fragile as Rich Harden's vagina. quote]
Didn't know Harden was a trannie... 8-o
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby chipper » Mon May 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Tell you what, if Sherzer doesn't get at least 3 starts, he's going to be a waste of a high waiver priority for a lot of people. If you're league doesn't have a P spot, and he goes to the bullpen before making 3 starts, total waste.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Magnus_CA » Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 pm

chipper wrote:Tell you what, if Sherzer doesn't get at least 3 starts, he's going to be a waste of a high waiver priority for a lot of people. If you're league doesn't have a P spot, and he goes to the bullpen before making 3 starts, total waste.

Well, Kershaw has the potential to have a short shelf life, if any, in the starting rotation too doesn't he? After Kershaw the only player I can think of that's not in the Yahoo database and worthy of a high priority would be Price and maybe Moustakas. My point is that given what's on the horizon I'd say Scherzer is worth the risk. This assumes redraft leagues only, of course.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:52 pm

chipper wrote:Tell you what, if Sherzer doesn't get at least 3 starts, he's going to be a waste of a high waiver priority for a lot of people. If you're league doesn't have a P spot, and he goes to the bullpen before making 3 starts, total waste.

I dont really see how you can call it a waste. If you are like most people here you dont play in leagues where good talent gets dropped for you to add with your waiver priority. Instead you use your waiver on top prospects being entered into the system. None of these prospects have any garuntees. When will Kershaw get called up? How effective will he be? You have no idea. Ultimately you make a list of top guys you would be willing to add and you grab the first one you can. If it pans out, great, if not, you did the best you could and it certainly shouldn't be considered a waste.

What would be a waste is if you sat around all year waiting for that "cant miss" guy and he never comes...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby chipper » Mon May 05, 2008 1:02 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:

I dont really see how you can call it a waste. If you are like most people here you dont play in leagues where good talent gets dropped for you to add with your waiver priority. Instead you use your waiver on top prospects being entered into the system. None of these prospects have any garuntees. When will Kershaw get called up? How effective will he be? You have no idea. Ultimately you make a list of top guys you would be willing to add and you grab the first one you can. If it pans out, great, if not, you did the best you could and it certainly shouldn't be considered a waste.

What would be a waste is if you sat around all year waiting for that "cant miss" guy and he never comes...

You are missing the point.
In leagues with no P spots (one of my three leagues is like that), you can't use one of your RP spots for a guy who does not get closer points. So in those leagues, if he does not get the 3 starts necessary to obtain SP/RP status, he will just sit on your bench (which is a waste of a spot).

If he gets the SP/RP then he will have decent value placed in a SP spot as a guy who can get strikeouts and a few wins here or there (see Marmol 2007). But without that SP status (damn you Yahoo.....just kidding I understand), he is of no use. You either hold onto him in hopes he makes enough starts to qualify, or you drop him for a useful bench player/pitcher.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:07 pm

chipper wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:

You are missing the point.
In leagues with no P spots (one of my three leagues is like that), you can't use one of your RP spots for a guy who does not get closer points. So in those leagues, if he does not get the 3 starts necessary to obtain SP/RP status, he will just sit on your bench (which is a waste of a spot).

If he gets the SP/RP then he will have decent value placed in a SP spot as a guy who can get strikeouts and a few wins here or there (see Marmol 2007). But without that SP status (damn you Yahoo.....just kidding I understand), he is of no use. You either hold onto him in hopes he makes enough starts to qualify, or you drop him for a useful bench player/pitcher.

Yes, in the small percentage of leagues that dont use P spots, Scherzer was probably a waste of a waiver claim. But then again if you were in those leagues you would have taken all this information into account already (or at least should have). Maybe he isn't worth a number 1 waiver claim in those leagues but I'd still burn mine if I were at 2,3,4 etc.

However, I doubt he is "going to be a waste of a high waiver priority for a lot of people" because most people use P spots...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Mon May 05, 2008 1:16 pm

SP eligibility isn't a big deal. You can always bench your worst reliever for that one day he is starting.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chipper » Mon May 05, 2008 1:27 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Yes, in the small percentage of leagues that dont use P spots, Scherzer was probably a waste of a waiver claim.

Well if you read closely, that's all I was saying :-?

jake_harv88 wrote:But then again if you were in those leagues you would have taken all this information into account already (or at least should have). Maybe he isn't worth a number 1 waiver claim in those leagues but I'd still burn mine if I were at 2,3,4 etc.

I still think he was worth a shot in the chance he sticks in the rotation (or at least long enough to obtain that SP/RP). I was only saying that if he does not get it then he will have been a waste.

Yoda wrote:SP eligibility isn't a big deal. You can always bench your worst reliever for that one day he is starting.

Well that's if he continues to start, point is if he is moved to the pen prior to 3 starts, that's where the problem is.
I've got no problem benching a Closer for one of his starts (or even just waiting for him to get that SP status). However if he does not get it, then you really have nowhere to put him.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers