Max Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Scherzer

Postby Tigers1223 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:13 pm

When does he get called up? What does everyone think his role will be? closer? mid relief? starter?
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Max Scherzer

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 pm

I drafted him in our Minor League draft and I'm excited by his AAA numbers so far. According to Rotoworld he might be next in line is a rotation spot opens up. Personally, I'd rather have him be a starter so hopefully that's what happens.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 pm

He's really made his way up through the minors. As a Missouri fan it is exciting to see one of our own about to make it to the show.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 pm

He'll most likely be the closer mid-summer.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:00 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:He'll most likely be the closer mid-summer.
...this will not happen
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:50 pm

stevethumb wrote:
...this will not happen

Wow, why? I could understand it if he's bogged by injuries and Arizona's 4 or so current options are ineffective but the odds of that are slim. I do agree that he will see time in the majors this year and I could easily see him slide into the 4th or 5th rotation spot before the end of the season around playoff time.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:21 am

This is definitely something that could happen. The DBacks have insisted that he'll be a starter, but there has been speculation that since the pen is thin and Max still needs to refine his secondary stuff, he may be brought up to the pen then convert to a starter, a la Joba.

Honestly, I think he would make a great closer if for no other reason than his pitching face

Way more freaky than little Johnny Paps, eh?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby freeling_prideful » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 am

Oh yeah, I remember reading about his freaky eye thing. That is right scary.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

This is definitely something that could happen. The DBacks have insisted that he'll be a starter, but there has been speculation that since the pen is thin and Max still needs to refine his secondary stuff, he may be brought up to the pen then convert to a starter, a la Joba.

Honestly, I think he would make a great closer if for no other reason than his pitching face

Way more freaky than little Johnny Paps, eh?
...that is just wishful thinking by scherzer owners to think that the d'backs would give him the closer's job this summer...they are in the middle of a pennant race and they are gonna give the job to a pitcher who started 17 gms last yr none above AA and has no professional closer experience...i don't think so..no matter how 'electric' his stuff is, MLB GMs and mangers are a conservative bunch when it comes to protecting their jobs and giving the closer's post in the middle of a pennant race to max scherzer is a recipe for firing..the d'backs would turn to blyon, tpena, cqualls, jcruz or trade for a veteran long before mscherzer is given the opportunity...scherzer may be auditioned in that role in the fall league or spring training 09 but NEVER this summer
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 pm

stevethumb wrote:...that is just wishful thinking by scherzer owners to think that the d'backs would give him the closer's job this summer...they are in the middle of a pennant race and they are gonna give the job to a pitcher who started 17 gms last yr none above AA and has no professional closer experience...i don't think so..no matter how 'electric' his stuff is, MLB GMs and mangers are a conservative bunch when it comes to protecting their jobs and giving the closer's post in the middle of a pennant race to max scherzer is a recipe for firing..the d'backs would turn to blyon, tpena, cqualls, jcruz or trade for a veteran long before mscherzer is given the opportunity...scherzer may be auditioned in that role in the fall league or spring training 09 but NEVER this summer

Whoa, deep breaths there, pal. I was just letting the lovely folks here know what I've read on milbinsider.com (nice little site, check it out)... Apparently they now know (rather vehemently, I might add) what your professional opinion is. Here's what I get from diamondbacks.scout.com (a source a bit more reliable than yourself... no offense, of course):

The organization insists that Scherzer has the stuff to start. However, most scouts agree that his stuff is major-league-bullpen ready now, but that he needs a few more years of honing his secondary pitches to become a fixture in the rotation. So the plan may very well be to use Lyon as a stopgap, turn the ball to Scherzer if the Boras client is hot or if Lyon is cold, then finally turn to Pena around 2010 when Scherzer is converted back to a starter.

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/735917.html

Sorry to turd in your Maypo, Stevie, but Scherzer has a shot at closing this year...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers