Strange Keeper League??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strange Keeper League???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strange Keeper League???

Postby Collateral » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:48 pm

Here's how it works in my 10team league. In a 24 Round draft, each team is allowed to keep one player drafted between Rounds 16 and 19, and another player drafted in Rounds 20 through 24. The catch, however, is that kept players must be on a team's active playoff roster at season's end. Follow?

For example, a dude drafted Javy Lopez in the 21st Round last year and since Lopez was on his active playoff roster at season's end he is allowed to use his 21st pick in this season's draft on Lopez (he must declare pre-draft that Lopez will be his keeper obviously).

Does this make sense to you guys? We came up with this model to reward people for solid late-round drafting while still allowing all the true studs (Arod, Pujols, Vlad, etc.) to be up for grabs every season.

Any feedback on this system would be appreciated... thanks
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:00 pm

I did that in my fantasy hockey league this year and, while there are a few positives, I hate it. The main reason is because I like to keep everyone involved for the whole season. If the last place team is really bad, they could always make some deals to at least be set for next season. With that system, it's probably not possible.

I much prefer just setting a low amount of keepers to be kept from the end-of-season roster. That way, there will still be a lot of great players available for drafting for the following year.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Collateral » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:04 pm

good point Lofunzo...

I'm just wondering though... so many people are involved in keeper leagues where the best of the best are off the board before things even start. Isn't that really annoying to have no shot at the top dogs???? All 10 in my league were against such a system, so I'm trying to come up with some sort of hybrid I guess.
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:10 pm

I understand but if you have a 12-team league and everyone keeps something like 3 each, that is only 36 players that are kept and there will be a lot of players still available. IMHO, that will be 3 very good (at least) players that are taken in the first 3 rounds, pretty much. Then, you basically start your draft with round 4. While every pick in the draft is important, you should all get good picks with your top 3 (and even a little later). Where you separate yourself from the rest is later picks, WW pickups, and trades. Everyone still has a chance here.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby reelbiggecko » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:35 pm

Collateral wrote:I'm just wondering though... so many people are involved in keeper leagues where the best of the best are off the board before things even start. Isn't that really annoying to have no shot at the top dogs???? All 10 in my league were against such a system, so I'm trying to come up with some sort of hybrid I guess.

That's why weestablished a minor league system. It's so much more like MLB now, the contenders go after the veterans, and the lower teams go after the prospects. Two of the worst teams in my league have two of the best farm systems, and will definitely be strongly competing within 2-3 years.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:06 pm

You can also modify it to include 2-3 players from your end-of-season roster and 1 other player taken from round 20 on. You have options but I don't like that you have to keep them on your roster all season.
Lofunzo

Return to Baseball Leftovers