Any Rafael Soriano updates? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any Rafael Soriano updates?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Rafael Soriano updates?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 am

Anyone know how long he will be out? Will it be longer than the 15 day DL stint. I have heard rumblings that he may be out for a whole lot longer than 15 days. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything like that. I want to pick up Acosta since I had Moylan and he is on the DL, but if Soriano will be back sometime next week it won't pay.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Rafael Soriano updates?

Postby hoya1982 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:58 am

I don't think much has really been said since he was sent to the DL, but I wouldn't expect him back to come back anytime next week. I would go ahead and grab Acosta if he was still available.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Any Rafael Soriano updates?

Postby The Big Train » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Not looking good unfortunately...

ATLANTA -- The Braves won't be activating Rafael Soriano from the 15-day disabled list when he becomes eligible on Tuesday. In fact, they are just hoping that the right-handed closer will at least be able to begin throwing off of a mound some time this week.

When asked when Soriano will begin throwing off of a mound, Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell responded, "when he's able to throw without any discomfort."

While playing catch over the past few days, Soriano hasn't been able to throw without feeling some discomfort in his right elbow. This isn't good news for the Braves, who learned earlier this week that there's a good chance top setup man Peter Moylan is destined for season-ending elbow surgery.

Soriano, who signed a two-year, $9.1 million contract in January, complained of some elbow discomfort during the early weeks of Spring Training and didn't even appear in a Grapefruit League game until March 15. After making just four appearances during the regular season, he was forced to begin this current stint on the disabled list.

When Soriano was acquired from the Mariners before the start of last season, he was considered somewhat of a health risk. Elbow problems limited him to a combined 13 games during the 2004 and 2005 seasons. He underwent Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery on Aug. 17, 2004.

Soriano, who posted a 3.00 ERA and limited opponents to a .181 batting average last year, was also on the disabled list during the 2002 and 2006 seasons because of right shoulder discomfort.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates