Anyone Interested in a Historical Mock Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Anyone Interested in a Historical Mock Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:35 pm

Andy1234 wrote:If he takes Arod from you, then you can take Wagner from him.

If I had the #1 pick it would be either Ruth, Wagner, or Walter Johnson...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Oh yeah. Innings limit?

So we can't take advantage of the 400+ IP seasons from the Dead Ball era?!! :-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:14 pm

DK wrote:
LCBOY wrote:Interesting questions. I thought that maybe we can form eras like 1920, 30s 40s...etc. and maybe only draft players from that era. What say you Cafe? I'm open to any suggestions...

Are you trying to take A-Rod from me? :D

Sure, I'd take him then I'd trade him for what I need. Perhaps Rickey Henderson or Joe Morgan or...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby whitesox04champs » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:50 pm

Arlo wrote:Sounds like fun. ;-D

Funny ... I was thinking about this yesterday evening as well... :-?

ESP-----------------------------------------N

Just like the commericial
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LCBOY » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:15 am

Here are some ideas for a historical fantasy baseball season. We'd pick players from history and play a fantasy "season". I have two ideas.

1. Win Shares Fantasy baseball

A typical draft as regular fantasy baseball. Every owner would pick a team and we'd add up the Win shares and the team with the most Win Shares is the winner. Here's the catch. Nobody would know which season would be used for each player. I would take the top 6-10 seasons for each player and RANDOMLY chose a season to use for their Win shares score. I'll use Babe Ruth as an example.

His best seasons by Win shares, I believe, were 1920-21. Now the owner who drafts him may or may not get his Win Shares score from those seasons. That owner might get Ruth's Win shares from his 10th best season. That is probably still a huge year but nowhere near his peaks years. Someone who drafts, say, Willie Mays may get Mays' best season and that would probably outscore Rutn. This gives the game a level of uncertainty. So an owner may pick an "inferior" player but get a more Win Shares because his best season was chosen. Does this make sense?

Why use Win Shares? This levels the playing field. Win Shares is a way to put all players throughout baseball history on a level playing field. If we just used regular baseball stats then everyone would just choose hitters from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1990s where every one had all the awesome hitting stats. Also, every everyone would pick pitchers from the dead ball era with all those 30 and 40 win seasons, 400+ IP, microscopic ERAs, etc.

I have another idea but I want to wait to see what kind of input this get. If anyone has an idea or suggestions please post it! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:27 am

I'd be interested in this, though why couldn't you have thought of it in the off-season?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LCBOY » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:44 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I'd be interested in this, though why couldn't you have thought of it in the off-season?

Depending on the response we could wait for the off-season. I still need time to create an Excel spreadsheet to do what I am proposing. This would involve tons of data entry of all the win share scores.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby whitesox04champs » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:03 am

Im in!
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jumpman8288 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:47 pm

I'd be glad to join in, and I have an idea.

On Whatfisports.com, you can make a dream team from different sports, so heres what we could do:

1. Do the draft here

2. Create our teams on Whatifsports.com, using any season we want from each player's career

3. Create a schedule for teams to play each other

4. Each week, the home team of each matchup (decided when the schedules are made) simululates 3 games against the team he is facing (like the average MLB series).

5. We play three weeks against each team, so if its 12 teams it comes out to a 33-week regular season, with 99 games played in total.

6. The top half of the teams make it to the playoffs

7. Top two teams get a bye

8. The final series, the World Series, is the same as the MLB one, with the first team to win 4 games as the winner

The standings could be kept here...just an idea, if anyone has any suggestions or alterations to that, let them be known
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby whitesox04champs » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:14 pm

lets organize the league then!
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History