Two Amazing Images In One Day! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Two Amazing Images In One Day!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Two Amazing Images In One Day!

Postby josebach » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Metroid wrote:
bigken117 wrote:sigh

that image in the window looks like what many portraits of Jesus portray him to look like.

jose sucks at posting images. :-b

My bad. :-/

I think the image on the window looks like this guy:
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Images of Muhammed never show up in windows and toast. Of course, if it happened telling people about it would be generally discouraged.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:25 pm

bigken117 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Usually those images that look like the virgin Mary if you squint your eyes and look at it from a certain angle are kind of funny. But that image, though there has to be some scientific explanation, that looks like Jesus. A lot.

:-b

Being born in the Middle East of Jewish descent in the Roman Era, Jesus looked nothing like that. He was likely about five feet tall, with bushy, curly brown or black hair, with a curly beard and olive to dark olive-colored skin, brown eyes and likely he had a prominent nose.

He was not what this image looks like. Not in the least.

sigh

that image in the window looks like what many portraits of Jesus portray him to look like.

Are you talking about the portraits that show Jesus with light hair and beard, blue eyes, and white skin? He didn't look like that - not unless he was secretly from Gaul or Thrace or some other northern province of the Roman Empire. He was Jewish, and he looked like the Jews of the day in Israel, not like some white guy.

Just because your church or 10,000 churches across Europe and North America have "portraits" of Jesus that shows him with light colored hair, white skin and blue eyes doesn't mean that he looked like that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Images of Muhammed never show up in windows and toast. Of course, if it happened telling people about it would be generally discouraged.

The religion strictly forbids posting images of him. If he appeared in something, would they have to behead him???

:-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:18 pm

josebach wrote:
JTWood wrote:
bigken117 wrote:But that image, though there has to be some scientific explanation, that looks like Jesus. A lot.

How do we even know what he looked like???

How do we know anything? With stories of arks, parting seas and burning bushes, it's kind of hard to consider the Bible an accurate historical document.

Interesting... I don't find it hard at all to consider the Bible an accurate historical document, but that's just me. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:24 pm

knapplc wrote:
bigken117 wrote:sigh

Are you talking about the portraits that show Jesus with light hair and beard, blue eyes, and white skin? He didn't look like that - not unless he was secretly from Gaul or Thrace or some other northern province of the Roman Empire. He was Jewish, and he looked like the Jews of the day in Israel, not like some white guy.

Just because your church or 10,000 churches across Europe and North America have "portraits" of Jesus that shows him with light colored hair, white skin and blue eyes doesn't mean that he looked like that.

I didn't say He did.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
josebach wrote:How do we know anything? With stories of arks, parting seas and burning bushes, it's kind of hard to consider the Bible an accurate historical document.

Interesting... I don't find it hard at all to consider the Bible an accurate historical document, but that's just me. :-)

Why do so many people focus on the Old Testament? It's called Christianity, not OldTestamentianity. Even if the entire Old Testament is made up, which isn't the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Jesus lived and died in the way described in the New Testament. That's the most important part of the Bible.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby josebach » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:52 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
josebach wrote:How do we know anything? With stories of arks, parting seas and burning bushes, it's kind of hard to consider the Bible an accurate historical document.

Why do so many people focus on the Old Testament? It's called Christianity, not OldTestamentianity. Even if the entire Old Testament is made up, which isn't the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Jesus lived and died in the way described in the New Testament. That's the most important part of the Bible.

The Bible is the Bible. Part of the Bible is the old testament. You can't cherry pick the parts that make sense and disregard the fantastical stuff because as soon as you do that, it makes the Bible fallible. Of course if the Bible is fallible, it can't possibly be the word of God, right? That's the thing that made me most struggle with my faith for years. If I can't trust all of the Bible, how could I trust any of it?

Actually, I know the answer. Faith, right? Well, tried that for a decade or so and have now moved on. Researching the origins of the Bible from a secular perspective put the nail in that coffin. I much prefer facing the world admitting that I don't know the answers instead of claiming that I do. I feel so much better about myself. Of course different strokes...
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm

I'll only reiterate what I said earlier and leave it at that:

Even if the entire Old Testament is made up, which isn't the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Jesus lived and died in the way described in the New Testament.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'll only reiterate what I said earlier and leave it at that:

Even if the entire Old Testament is made up, which isn't the case, it still doesn't change the fact that Jesus lived and died in the way described in the New Testament.

How do you feel about the Book of Mormon that Mormons consider the third book of the Bible?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk