Joe "Blow" Borowski to DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joe "Blow" Borowski to DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joe "Blow" Borowski to DL

Postby IrishDrunk » Wed May 07, 2008 10:25 am

Per CBS:

Indians manager Eric Wedge said RP Joe Borowski (strained triceps) will return to the closer's role when he comes off the disabled list, bumping Rafael Betancourt back to setup duties. Borowski is scheduled to throw off the mound next week.(Updated 05/04/2008).

Other than that, it just says "Out until at least mid-May"...
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed May 07, 2008 12:02 pm

I own Betancourt and Borowski, and I can't believe, despite Betancourt's hic ups, that Wedge is going to bring Borowski straight back into the closer role... I think the Indians have an unhealthy fascination with the concept of the two raffys being 7-8 holders, which is fine... but put Jensen Lewis or even the Hot Dog Eater into the closer role... yikes
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Wed May 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Its pretty clear that Betancourt is better in a set up situation... and although Borowski isn't a good closer by any means, he was getting the job done last year. Maybe, if the injury is really healed, he can go back to getting the job done. I'm not sure if the Indians have better options, but I cna understand them wanting to get Betancourt back into the set up position. I have Borowski, and think he still may have some value.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IrishDrunk » Wed May 07, 2008 3:06 pm

That's Wedge for you, though - He sticks with his guys.

Borowski was hurt to begin the year, and just got killed, then DL'ed.

So, of course Wedge will give him another shot to return to last year's form (he did have 45 saves last year, no matter how ugly they were)...

If he sucks this time, then I think they'd look at trying Kobayashi since he's got the experience (since Betancourt is better in a setup role...).
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Borowski is supposed to start throwing, but even so, there's no guarantee that his velocity is back. If he starts throwing and still in the 70s, he's going to get shut down for another month.

IF/When Borowski comes back he will go right back into being the closer. Our pen is a mess w/o him. Kobayashi might get a shot at closing if Borowski gets shut down again. But the fact that Borowski gets it done, however ugly it is, gives the Tribe's pen the best situation.

Last April he got shelled, blowing a couple of saves in amazing fashion, one at oakland, and another with a walk off grand slam to ARod...he got through the rest of the season w/o many more disasters.

But lets face it. Betancourt has been lights out as a setup man, and never had much success closing, even before this season. It's a no-brainer that he be left as an 8th inning guy. unfortunately the mess in the bullpen doesn't allow that right now.

Jensen Lewis won't get thrown into the closers role yet. He's young, called up last season, and I think Wedge's experiment with Carmona closing in 2006 scared him away from throwing young guys into that role. He very well could be the closer for the team in the future. But it's not like he's got stuff in the 90's...he's just got a funky delivery and decent movement on his pitches right now.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates