Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe "Blow" Borowski to DL

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:26 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10780886
Indians place Borowski on DL with strained triceps

April 15, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

Share this page.

CLEVELAND -- Indians closer Joe Borowski was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, a day after blowing a save and giving up a two-run homer in the ninth inning to Boston's Manny Ramirez in a 6-4 loss to the Red Sox.

The club said Borowski, who led the AL with 45 saves last season, has a strained triceps. He had been puzzled and frustrated by a significant loss in his velocity.

The club recalled right-hander Tom Mastny from Triple-A Buffalo.

With Borowski out, Indians manager Eric Wedge likely will turn to Rafael Betancourt as his new closer. Betancourt was one of baseball's top set-up men last season. He had three saves last season and has 12 career saves.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

I'm not buying Betancourt as the closer. Take it for what it's worth, but he may look like a great closer, but he IS a great setup man. Wedge isn't really one to mess with things that work, thus the reason Borowski still even had a job to start the year. Masa Kobayashi should be first in line, with Jorge Julio as the 2nd option. Longshot option would probably be Jensen Lewis in my opinion. But I felt this offseason when they signed Kobayashi, that it was to replace or bail out a struggling Borowski.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe "Blow" Borowski to DL

Postby Morel Orel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:31 pm

I agree. I think Lewis is the closer of the future and they won't mess up a good thing with Beta in the setup role.

I picked up Kobo as soon as I saw the red DL next to Blowroski's name ;-D
My sweet sigs got the boot...
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bracesj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 pm

i actually think Betancourt will be taking over the closer role, he has the best stuff in that bullpen and will be a serious candidate to take over blow-rowski's spot
bracesj
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm

betancourt has been sucking it this season too for some reason.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WSU Tony » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Would dropping heath bell for Kobayashi a good idea?
WSU Tony
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Eric Wedge just said in an interview during BP before tonights game that Betancourt WILL be the closer while Borowski is out. He WILL NOT close tonight. they will look at the matchup assuming there is a save op, and Jensen Lewis will be the RHP option and Perez will be the Lefty option for TONIGHT ONLY.

No mention of Kobayashi. Speculation is that he's not seasoned enough in the american game yet, facing these hitters, to rely on as a closer.

Wedge didn't really give Borowski an endorsement as far as getting his job back. But he said something to the tune of, we hope that giving him this time off will let him heal, and we can go from there...work him back in.

So, for the time being Betancourt is the clear option at closer for the Tribe.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WSU Tony » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

If Betancourt fails do you see kobayashi as the step in closer? I can't imagine Betancourt will be given a long leash being such a great steup man. If he fails as a closer would you bet them to move him to setup and promote koba?
WSU Tony
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:41 pm

judging by what Wedge had to say, if betancourt doesn't work out, I'd have to guess Jorge Julio actually gets a shot.

this is a total guess on my part because he didn't address the possibility that Betancourt wouldn't work out as the closer. But he did say that Jensen Lewis will be the righty setup man, with rafael perez keeping his left handed setup job. Basically Betancourt takes Borowskis role and Jensen Lewis takes Betancourts.

This leaves only Jorge Julio, Kobayashi, and possibly Jensen Lewis to close. And from the way it sounds, they'd like to let Kobayashi get worked into this league in a 7th inning type role for now. Nothing more said really. But my gut still says that by the end of the season our closer will be Kobayashi, or someone we sign or trade for.

Jensen Lewis w/o a doubt makes the most sense as a closer in the future. I think that's where he's headed. I just don't see that happening this season or next for that matter.

I also don't feel good about the idea of Betancourt as the permanent closer, based on what Wedge had to say/how he said it. It sounds like assuming Borowski gets healthy, he will get the opportunity to get his job back. Whether he's able to do that is another story.

This has huge potential to turn into a complete mess tho. When Bob Wickman was moved to Atlanta a couple of seasons ago for Andy Marte, a number of people were tried out as a closer. none of which worked, and they decided to bring Carmona back up from AAA and have him close. And if you go look at his numbers, which were a huge topic of conversation during his "turnaround" last season, you'll see how well that worked. 1-10 record I believe. I think this could be a big enough reason for them to keep a 23yr old Jensen Lewis from jumping from a middle/long relief guy straight to a closer. Wedge is really patient, too patient for alot of fans, and Shapiro is as good a GM as any.

Worst case scenario, this turns into a very fluid situation until someone steps up as a solid option.

But again, it's Betancourt for sure, and really no indication of who the 2nd option would be should Betancourt not work out
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:32 pm

WSU Tony wrote:Would dropping heath bell for Kobayashi a good idea?

Bell is one of the premier middle relievers around. By the end of the season he basically adds up to half of a top-tier starter.

You'd have to be hurting for saves IMHO
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Howie » Wed May 07, 2008 10:11 am

Does anyone know when Borowski is coming back? Betancourt was just dropped in my league. Is that due to Betancourt sucking or because Browoski is coming back soon?
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates