Newbie Questions- Bare With Me... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Newbie Questions- Bare With Me...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Collateral » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:31 pm

As for doing well with a late pick, it's very possible. Last year was my first year of fantasy Baseball and I drafted 10th of 10. I was able to get Pujols 10th, Giambi 11th. One Score, One Bust. However, it's all about managing throughout the season as well... as I was able to add a guy like Loaiza out of the free agent pool.

Anyhow, I drafted 10th and ended up playing the dude who drafted 9th in the Finals.
Last edited by Collateral on Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:32 pm

I wrote something about the ranking for autodrafts in another post called "auto draft strategies" that should still be somewhere in the current topics list. I hope that helps. It was a pretty long post, so I don't really want to write it again. good luck.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Mr. Smithers » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Always take best player available. You can always make good trades and youll be amazed at what you get of the Free Agent Wire as the season goes on.
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.
Ted Williams
Mr. Smithers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Biggie2 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:56 pm

Anyone bored and feel like giving me their top 10, top 15, or 10 top 25 if they happened to be using autodraft?? That would be cool :)

This is tough stuff guys... A little over my head for the second night dealing with fantasy games...

If i make sure i rank someone higher than everyone else, i am pretty much assured i will get him, am i correct?? I see Posada is considered the best choice on this website, and the third (90 overall) on the yahoo list... i figure if i put him at 15 or so, ahead of anyone else ill be assured to get a helluva catcher...
Biggie2
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Biggie2 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:59 pm

Wouldnt it be smart to fill my top 15 or so autodraft ranking with a bunch of above average players, but not outstanding?? so i will most likely get a starting lineup that is pretty damn good as a whole?
Biggie2
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fezzik » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:02 pm

you're right...you'll be guaranteed Posada in round 2, since nobody else would rank him that high...the only problem is, there are much better fantasy players availble in round 2 then Posada.
My top few picks:
Arod
Pujols
Soriano
Helton
Vlad
Prior
Beltran
Bonds
Pedro
Sheff
Manny
Maglio
Nomar
Schilling
Vernon Wells
Halladay
Sosa
Tejada
RJ
Gagne
Renteria
Boone
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Mr. October » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:22 pm

ncstate04 wrote:Biggie, Im currently a senior at state....and yes, basketball is very exciting this year, especially with the acc tourney coming up.

NC State is looking pretty good this year. I went and saw them play earlier in the season @ the Colonial Center here in Columbia , SC. It was an awesome game with the home team pulling it out in the end. I have been pulling for the PACK so it will improve our RPI. I hated to see you guys lose to Clemson though.
Mr. October
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Biggie2 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:58 pm

I know, i just knew they would blow the hype after such great recognition after the Duke win. Then they almost lose to washington as well... They are in excellent shape for the tourny though... i am hoping for a Valvanoesque run to the national championship despite the 6 loss record like they did in '83. Of course, i would rather see them do this NEXT year when i am there :)

Back to baseball though... I set up some of my autodraft rankings over the past day, relying heavily on fezziks suggestions.... so how do you guys think it looks?? I have a bunch of SP sitting up higher on my list and wonder if that is a good move or not... also i like Pierre for his steals and ive been trying to think of a sleeper or rookie to add to my list, that is why matsui is there, but i only added them to remind me of them later... in other words i dont expect to put them as high as they are...

here is my list...

1. A. Rodriguez
2. A. Pujols
3. A. Soriano
4. T. Helton
5. V. Guerrero
6. M. Prior
7. C. Beltran
8. B. Bonds
9. P. Martinez
10. G. Sheffield
11. M. Tejada
12. M. Rivera
13. M. Ramirez
14. M. Ordonez
15. N. Garciaparra
16. C. Schilling
17. V. Wells
18. R. Halladay
19. P. Wilson
20. S. Rolen
21. M. Mussina
22. E. Gagne
23. E. Renteria
24. R. Johnson
25. J. Posada
26. S. Sosa
27. C. Delgado
28. J. Thome
29. B. Boone
30. J. Schmidt
31. J. Kent
32. B. Wagner
33. K. Foulke
34. J. Smoltz
35. R. Sexson
36. R. Furcal
37. G. Anderson
38. B. Giles
39. J. Bagwell
40. K. Wood
41. M. Piazza
42. J. Pierre
43. K. Matsui
Biggie2
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jbuk » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:02 pm

Not bad for a first draft ;-D

Rivera is way too high, tho I guess this may be part of your strategy to make sure you get him?

I'd personally have Manny and Schilling a little higher and probably drop the catchers down.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Biggie2 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:34 pm

Thanks, thats the type of advice i was looking for :)

Gotta love a good well informed message board....
Biggie2
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers