A.J. Burnett? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

A.J. Burnett?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A.J. Burnett?

Postby AllDay » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:26 am

pappymojo wrote:he smashed his pitching hand by closing a car door on it during the off season. lost a fingernail that he used to hold onto his curve ball. expect him to struggle a little to start the year, but his second half numbers will be great.

That's the case in a nutshell. He's been trying an acrylic nail to get some grip as his nail grows back.

He'll be fine once his nail grows back - and I think he won't be too bad while it grows back.

I think he's sort of under-valued, actually. I nabbed him in like the 12th round or so.

He was probably over used in 2002 (7 CG's), and that caused him to miss time in '03 and '04. In '02 his manager seemed to be of the opinion that AJ could throw forever without injury.

He gets good K rates, and his ratios are generally acceptable. W's can be a little fleeting as they are largely dependant on run support and the bullpen. He could easily win 15 with a healthy year and good support (a healthy Ryan and some offense would help).

Grab him up!
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Little Lee wrote:AJ is overated. A career 500 pitcher who has never one more than 12 or 13 games in his entire career. Had one good year and everyone remembers him for the no no. Ask Jays fans if they think he is worth the $50M they shelled out for him?

I love how everyone always bashes AJ for being a "career 500 pitcher"... that stat is getting so tired. As if it even has anything to do with his abilities. Fantasy baseball players should know more than anyone that W-L record is not a real good indication of player skill.

He is worth the money hands down. 10-11 million gets you nothing now and I think, given the conditions of the market, AJ is worth every penny. Look at all the other bogus pitching deals that were signed AFTER AJ - Zito, Pettite, Schimdt, Arroyo, Millwood, etc etc etc.... makes him look like a bargain. As a jays fan I am VERY satisfied.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ha_jai » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with all the above comments. Some guy drop him last year after two starts and after I picked him up, he help me win the league. Trying to do the same thing this year, offerred Bulter and Sherrill for him. Got a verbal agreement but the fact that he hasn't hit the accept button yet is starting to worry me. Is he worth the $$? Definitely! Is he worth it in Fantasy Baseball? A pitcher who K's almost one per inning plus a good WHIP?!? Definitely!
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Lee » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Well done boys, spoken like true Toronto fan's (Jays or Leafs) that have learned over the years to accept mediocrity by looking for all that is good in being a .500 ball club.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DBronson12 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:20 am

W/L is the most overrated stat when looking at a pitcher. Burnett is one of those that "average" fantasy players avoid due to his W/L, just like Matt Cain.
DBronson12 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Little Lee wrote:Well done boys, spoken like true Toronto fan's (Jays or Leafs) that have learned over the years to accept mediocrity by looking for all that is good in being a .500 ball club.

That has nothing to do with this discussion. I'll give you 11 million dollars and you find me a better free agent pitcher in the current MLB market. Begin.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Little Lee wrote:Well done boys, spoken like true Toronto fan's (Jays or Leafs) that have learned over the years to accept mediocrity by looking for all that is good in being a .500 ball club.

Your ignorance on this subject provides great entertainment.........please, continue telling us how valuable someone is via their W/L record.

%-6
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby djack909 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:12 pm

I am so glad to pick-up A.J. after some fool drops him and he clears WW. The best FA pick-up I have ever had. (Twice this year) How can 11 managers let that happen ? Shows you that there are plenty of fools that can't see past W/L.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surrender2theYankees » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 am

All I want for Christmas is Burnett's nail to grow back faster!!!
Surrender2theYankees
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:08 pm

AJ had his start pushed back and is starting on Sunday, not Friday.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates