problem with keepers and a bitter manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:24 am

im in a 5 player keeper league and we had a problem during the draft. a manager had carlos pena listed as one of his keepers, but the commish made a mistake and put tony pena in. the manager was then not at the draft because it was his anniversary so he wasnt able to correct the mistake before the draft took place. another manager drafted him, not knowing he was supposed to be someones keeper, and is now in first place. understandably the supposed-to-be owner is upset; hes accusing the current owner of cheating and wants the commish to return pena to his team. most people in the league are against this because it unfairly penalizes the current owner. the would-be owner was given the #1 waiver priority and was offered an extra pick at the beginning of next years draft, but he is still unhappy. i thought it would be good to get some unbiased opinions from the cafe on this
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1927
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 am

you should post this in the commish forum.

The mistake should have been taken care of long before today. When the mistake was first noticed the commish should have corrected the mistake. Pena needs to be on the team he was a keeper of.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1913
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:29 am

I think the league made the mistake and the owner should receive Pena back. He should not pay the penalty for the error. An appropriate fix for owner who drafted Pena should be provided, through waiver wire priority, free pick of a prospect, or both.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 am

Definitely the commish's fault. If it's a 5 person league, why would anyone even have Tony Pena? That's just a stupid mistake. I almost think the commish should lose one of his guys to the screwed over manager.
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I think the league made the mistake and the owner should receive Pena back. He should not pay the penalty for the error. An appropriate fix for owner who drafted Pena should be provided, through waiver wire priority, free pick of a prospect, or both.

Absolutely.

A) The league is responsible here, not the owner. He should get his player back.
B) I assume keepers were publicly posted. In which case, the owner that took Pena should have known he was a keeper.

Very, very bad decision making all around here. Be glad that owner is still even around. If this was a league I was in, and if this decision wasn't immediately obvious to management, I would have left that league in a heartbeat.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 am

Inukchuk wrote:If it's a 5 person league, why would anyone even have Tony Pena?

I think he meant they keep 5 players.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 am

Don't these people check their rosters after the draft? The first thing I do as soon as the draft is over, is to review all the picks and do a side by side comparison with another person. I've made plenty of mistakes and had to reverse some moves post draft.

If I had Pena protected and didn't get him then I wouldn't even participate in the league anymore. That's just blatantly stupid.
Last edited by Yoda on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 am

StlSluggers wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I think the league made the mistake and the owner should receive Pena back. He should not pay the penalty for the error. An appropriate fix for owner who drafted Pena should be provided, through waiver wire priority, free pick of a prospect, or both.

Absolutely.

A) The league is responsible here, not the owner. He should get his player back.
B) I assume keepers were publicly posted. In which case, the owner that took Pena should have known he was a keeper.

Very, very bad decision making all around here. Be glad that owner is still even around. If this was a league I was in, and if this decision wasn't immediately obvious to management, I would have left that league in a heartbeat.


Very well said by both and I totally agree. I would want Pena back if I were that guy
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby Russell James » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 am

How did this even occur and how is it even an issue when the mistake was found.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 352
Joined: 6 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: problem with keepers and a bitter manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 am

StlSluggers wrote:Be glad that owner is still even around.

Yoda wrote:If I had Pena protected and didn't get him then I wouldn't even participate in the league anymore. That's just blatantly stupid.

Told ya. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact