Help please....Should I VETO this trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help please....Should I VETO this trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help please....Should I VETO this trade?

Postby kmull13 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:50 am

this is a deep 16 team mixed league....

Team1 gets Michael Bourn

Team 2 gets Ben Broussard

I know that there is no colusion. To me this trade seems very unbalanced. (rd 8 pick for rd 21 pick). Should I veto or am i just biased because the team getting bourn is already one of the better teams?

thanks for any input
kmull13
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help please....Should I VETO this trade?

Postby mkultra » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 am

The player getting Bourn is definitely getting the better end of the deal, but I don't think that's a reason to veto. Clearly, the guy who wants Broussard thinks he's going to turn it up/get traded/whatever (or is very very weak at 1B).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 am

no veto
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby abrage22 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 pm

NO VETO!!! i don't even think Bourn got drafted in my 12 team league.... possible but very very late.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 pm

wow. you really can't even consider vetoing this one. bourn isn't really a good player. he might continue to get SBs for now, but he isn't even at all guaranteed to keep his job.

as a commish, you really need to look at the deal in the most favorable light possible without being unreasonable. don't worry about collusion - commishes who use that as the standard won't be able to veto Arod for Broussard without proof. just take the "losing" side and use the most optimistic reasonable projection and use the most pessimistic reasonable projection for the "winning" side.

broussard has shown he is capable of hitting 20+ hrs and batting near .290 (look at his stats 2 years ago) and he's off to a good start this year. if he becomes a full time player, he could hit 25+ hrs, with decent R and RBI totals. bourn has shown that he is not very likely to be able to hit for a decent average, and has a lousy one so far this year. ZIPS projects him at .250, and CHONE at .259. It certainly would be reasonable to think he could hit worse than that, as his bad current average might suggest. He has no power, and will contribute virtually nothing in HR and RBI. He could easily be moved down to the 7th or 8th spot in the order (if the Astros decide to move Pence back up), and he won't contribute much in runs either. he'll definitely steal bases when he is in the lineup, but most projections have him in the low 20s to mid 30s. that isn't really worth a tremendous amount.

this is the way every commish or trade approval committee should approach every trade.

you can downgrade guys like ryan braun, and you can look at guys like crede optimistically, but even if you do so, you those two are not going to look close enough to approve a straight up deal. but when you are dealing with 2 low end guys like bourn and broussard, you can't let your own opinions take over other owners reasonable projections.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner