Cleveland Closer Situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cleveland Closer Situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cleveland Closer Situation

Postby Drefsab » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Another major meltdown for Borowski, this one versus the Red Sox. Perez comes in to strikeout JD Drew after Borowski gives up 3 in 2/3 of an inning. How secure is Borowski's spot with two major meltdowns under his belt?
Drefsab
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cleveland Closer Situation

Postby misterigloo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Betancourt, Kobayashi, Perez. Who is next? Thoughts?

Cleveland's bullpen would hurt if Betancourt is limited to closing duties.
Let's go Oliver Perez and his METS!
misterigloo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 pm

I'd say they go to Betancourt.

Of course - I myself throw harder than Borowski -and I live in Ohio. It is possible I wake up tomorrow with the job.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bwagner112 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm

What do you mean, Borowski looked fine tonight, you guys are too picky ;-)
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crystalstorm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 am

If Cleveland doesn't make a change at closer soon,and they lose a few more ball games because of it, let them.It only takes 1 game not to make the play-offs,and it could come back to haunt them if they don't make the change soon.
Cleveland should be ashamed to keep BorASSki as their closer,when the went out and signed Kobayashi(Who was a closer in Japan),and have pitcher like Betancourt, who would be perfect for the closer job,(Look at his last years stas,he was probably the 2nd best middleman in baseball).
I wish I could get paid to make poor pitching decisions,how hard can it be?
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 am

Crystalstorm wrote:If Cleveland doesn't make a change at closer soon,and they lose a few more ball games because of it, let them.It only takes 1 game not to make the play-offs,and it could come back to haunt them if they don't make the change soon.
Cleveland should be ashamed to keep BorASSki as their closer,when the went out and signed Kobayashi(Who was a closer in Japan),and have pitcher like Betancourt, who would be perfect for the closer job,(Look at his last years stas,he was probably the 2nd best middleman in baseball).
I wish I could get paid to make poor pitching decisions,how hard can it be?

I was thinking the same thing. I can't understand why Wedge continues to trot Borowski out there knowing that every game counts. If Cleveland misses the playoffs by a game or 2, and Borowski's still blowing saves at the end of the season, the blame could be squarely placed on Borowski and Wedge for "staying loyal."

The other crazy thing (as you mentioned) is the amount of quality relief pitching already on the team. It's not like Borowski's their only legitimate option.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 am

i dont think some teams necessarily want their best RP to be their closer...those guys are more valuable to come on in the 7th or 8th with men on and hold a lead...then bring in your hack for the 9th with no men on and hope he can hold it. another reason, i think a lot of it is mental, a guy like Borowski or Todd Jones isnt going to get rattled when he blows a game, he can come back the next day and be fine...some guys blow a game or two in a row, they're done

also, do you just cut Borowski if you take him out of the closers role, because if i was Cleveland i sure as hell wouldnt want him coming in with runners on in a close game in the 7th or 8th
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 am

if borowski loses the job, and either Julio or Kobayashi hold it down, I do think he'll get cut, or dealt for next to nothing, a la Bob Wickman. Could use the roster spot for sure, because I don't see him being an option to get you out of a jam in the 6th inning.

highly doubt betancourt gets a shot at it. not at least until after kobayashi or julio.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates