Cinci - 3B/SS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cinci - 3B/SS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cinci - 3B/SS

Postby sansav » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Who will be the odd man out in Cincinnatti when Gonzlez returns? Edwin, Keppiger, or AG? Or will they be sharing 2 postions amongst 3 guys?
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cinci - 3B/SS

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:48 pm

sansav wrote:Who will be the odd man out in Cincinnatti when Gonzlez returns? Edwin, Keppiger, or AG? Or will they be sharing 2 postions amongst 3 guys?

I wouldn't worry about it for a while. From Rotoworld Apr. 14 - 6:21 pm et:

An MRI showed that Alex Gonzalez still has a fracture in his left knee.

When Gonzalez was hurt in February, it looked like he'd be back right about now. However, with the fractured still not having healed, he won't be allowed to run for at least another two to four weeks. That makes Jeff Keppinger the Reds' shortstop through late May anyway. It's also good news for Edwin Encarnacion, Joey Votto and Scott Hatteberg.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Ya, looks like it'll be a while before it's an issue.

My opinion as of now: EE's done as a MLB 3rd baseman.
Can't hit, absolutely lost at the plate. Can't throw, missing his target by 20 feet sometimes.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:My opinion as of now: EE's done as a MLB 3rd baseman.
Can't hit, absolutely lost at the plate. Can't throw, missing his target by 20 feet sometimes.

Wow, that's harsh. Yeah, he is mired in a slump, but its only been 13 games!?!? And he is known as a streaky hitter. Finally, any modern manager would be thrilled that during this horrible streak his OBP is still .346. So, it hasn't been as bad as it could be.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby tmlfan4ever » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Ya, looks like it'll be a while before it's an issue.

My opinion as of now: EE's done as a MLB 3rd baseman.

lol dont listen to him until we get further than 2 weeks
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 pm

neoforce wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:My opinion as of now: EE's done as a MLB 3rd baseman.

Wow, that's harsh. Yeah, he is mired in a slump, but its only been 13 games!?!? And he is known as a streaky hitter. Finally, any modern manager would be thrilled that during this horrible streak his OBP is still .346. So, it hasn't been as bad as it could be.

I don't think any modern manager would be too thrilled with his performance at the plate. I'm pretty sure he left the bases loaded like 10 times this week. He's accumulated a few meaningless walks, but any time a pitcher actually challenged him he's been overwhelmed (save one clutch HR to win a game only because he previously lost it on a throwing error). Marty Brennaman and Jeff Brantely, the "voices" of the Reds, pretty much hate the guy, so the media's going to make it worse.

I tried to like the guy, he's got a great glove and has some pop and all. But after watching most of the Reds games the past few years it's pretty obvious that he'd be AAAA fodder on a good team.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jacopo2155 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:57 pm

if Edwin cannot put it together this year, he may be in trouble. he started similarly last season but was able to turn it around by june and july. this kid has all the potential in the world but still hasnt shown much as a major league third baseman. it will be interesting to see his progress throughout the season.
Ezekiel 25:17
jacopo2155
College Coach
College Coach

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Double E looking good. Has had at least a hit in every game since this thread started. He was even on baseball tonight with a web gem (not that I would ever think of him as a good defender. But even the bad ones have good plays.)

from rotoworld:

Edwin Encarnacion-3B- Reds Apr. 21 - 10:31 pm et

Edwin Encarnacion continued his hot streak, hitting a home run and a double as the Reds lost to the Dodgers on Monday night.

Encarnacion finished with two runs and an RBI, and has raised his batting average to .273 on his current 11-game hitting streak.
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I think Gonzalez is going to be traded. The Reds are pretty deep in good 3B/SS/2B guys in the minors. 3B/SS Todd Frazier could probably play right now in the majors.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I think Gonzalez is going to be traded. The Reds are pretty deep in good 3B/SS/2B guys in the minors. 3B/SS Todd Frazier could probably play right now in the majors.

Is this the same Todd Frazier that has played in about 23 total low-A MiLB games? He's no doubt talented, but I think you're a little optimistic about him be able to play in the majors right now.

The knock on Keppinger was that he was only adequate at SS defensively (advantage Gonzalez). I'm not sure if this means miserable or just slightly below average. I wouldn't be surprised to see Keppinger as a super sub playing 3-4 games/week all over the infield. Or for them to dangle EE as trade bait. I have gotten the impression that he's not a management favorite in Cinci (maybe I'm wrong).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers