5X5 vs. 8X8?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5X5 vs. 8X8??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5X5 vs. 8X8??

Postby Chip » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:22 pm

My head-to-head league has 8 categories for the batter and pitcher.

BATTERS
Runs
Singles
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
On-base Percentage

PITCHERS
Innings
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Saves
Strikeouts
Earned Run Average
WHIP (Walks+Hits)/Innings

are there any players that would be better suited for this 8X8 than the standard 5X5?
Chip
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5X5 vs. 8X8??

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Chip wrote:My head-to-head league has 8 categories for the batter and pitcher.

BATTERS
Runs
Singles
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
On-base Percentage

PITCHERS
Innings
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Saves
Strikeouts
Earned Run Average
WHIP (Walks+Hits)/Innings

are there any players that would be better suited for this 8X8 than the standard 5X5?

welcome to the cafe. ;-D

i would think that with doubles and triples, the little speedy leadoff guys would have alot of value. But actually the big sluggers usually hit just as many doubles.

I am a fan of 5x5 ... 8x8 just gets redundant and makes it eaiser to punt categories
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Apex » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:04 am

I play in a league that uses... let's just say a lot of categories. I've pondered the same question, and come to a few conclusions.

On the hitting side, I think the high average hitters are a lot more valuable. Assuming you can't land a lot of the power hitters that hit for a high average (because there aren't many of them), the hitters that are on base a lot will end up giving better value since HRs are devalued. At the same time, since they're on base a lot, they must be hitting a lot of singles and doubles. They're available to be knocked in a lot more and score runs, and they, by definition, have higher averages and OBPs. You may lose out in HRs and RBIs, but as wrveres said, it's easier to punt some categories.

On the pitching side, it's a little more critical to get solid starters. Look at the list of pitchers that racked up CGs and you're looking at a who's-who of premier aces. I think there were something like 6-8 pitchers with more than 4 CGs last season. If you can land 2-3 of them, you're looking at putting yourself in a good position on 7 of the 8 categories. Don't concentrate too heavy on the top tier closers, since that's only one category.

When all is said and done, I'm guessing that the way to go is to start with pitching as a priority and let the mashers go to the rest of the league, and then swoop in on the guys that are on base all the time without the long-ball power. Sound good?
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chip » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:04 am

thanks for the input, fellas. ;-D
Chip
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers