Kobayashi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kobayashi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kobayashi

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 pm

CBSSports says that JoBo has a triceps strain and is out at least until mid-may.

I think the Indians go to Betancourt. He's been great as a setup guy and too much attention is paid to a SSS of stats that occurred like 4 yrs ago (Betancourt as closer). Kobayashi hasn't proven anything at the MLB level (Japan is equivalent to AA or AAA), but the success rate for Japanese RP's is fairly good (Okajima, Saito, Sasaki and others that I forget).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phishgrooving » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 pm

So who would you pick up if you had JoBo? Betancourt or Kobayashi?
phishgrooving
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grover71 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

a darkhorse here is Jensen Lewis. He may be a closer option, but my guess is he takes over Betancourts role should he get the nod...
Grover71
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:09 pm

phishgrooving wrote:So who would you pick up if you had JoBo? Betancourt or Kobayashi?

After reading the reports that are out of Cleveland now, where they're still acting as if this is a temporary stop-gap, it looks like Betancourt is going to be getting his opportunity.

Don't let tonight's appearances effect your pick-up too much though, as Betancourt has a very small chance of appearing tonight (after pitching almost 3 innings over the last two days).

It'll be interesting to see if I still get a shot at Kobayashi if he gets a save opp tonight. :-o
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Grover71 wrote:a darkhorse here is Jensen Lewis. He may be a closer option, but my guess is he takes over Betancourts role should he get the nod...

Lewis is a big underdog to take over the role. I believe that Julio, Perez, Betancourt and Kobayashi have to implode for him to get a chance. My money is on Kobayashi and Betancourt. One of these two will emerge and run away with the closer role the rest of the season. If both were available I'd grab both.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:17 pm

One thing I think keeping Lewis from getting either a setup or closing job this season is the fact that he is the best right handed long relief option the Indians have.

Tom Mastny just got called up, which could change that, but Lewis is still a much better option.

Lewis is definately the best closing prospect in the Indians 'pen, but given that Masa and Jorge Julio were both brought in this year and have alot of closing experience, I don't see him getting the role this year.

I would honestly pick up Kobayashi if I had to only grab one today. if there is a save op tonight, I don't think Betancourt will get it. Pitched last night, and the Tigers are coming into town. If their offense just started clicking last night, Betancourt will be needed in his usual role.

Aaron Laffey could be called up to the bullpen in a real jam, but they've already said this spring that Sowers will not be made into a relief pitcher.

Perez is the only legit lefty for the indians, as Breslow is a bum.

Grab Kobayashi. that's my hunch. 3rd all time saves leader in Japanese baseball history.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phishgrooving » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated
phishgrooving
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Wedge just said in an interview during BP today that Betancourt will be the Indians closer while Borowski is out.

see the borowski thread for more info if you want.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates