Kobayashi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kobayashi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kobayashi

Postby muetze » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 pm

What are the chances Borowski loses his closer role and would his replacement be Kobayashi?
Muetze
muetze
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kobayashi

Postby IrishDrunk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm

muetze wrote:What are the chances Borowski loses his closer role and would his replacement be Kobayashi?

I'd think Betancourt is a more likely replacement than Kobayashi...but, I think Eric Wedge likes to stick with what's been successful in the past, so, Borowski would have to struggle for an extended period to get the axe...
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm working on clearing room on my roster (through trades) at the moment in order to make room for this guy (or several others that I'm keeping my eye on).

Betancourt has more MLB experience (as well as the ridiculous ratios), but it's obvious that Wedge is hesitant to give him the 9th (otherwise he would have easily taken it from JoBo last year).

Kobayashi, on the other hand, may not have any experience in MLB, but has a ton of experience closing the 9th. It remains to be seen how quickly he can adjust to the hitters here, and learn the nuances that he needs to get, but if he's quick on the uptake he could be ready to take over as soon as JoBo slips (early May even).

I'm of the opinion that Wedge is comfortable with Bet in the 8th, continuing as the setup guy, and giving Koboyashi the first crack at closing when (make that if) Borowski actually does lose his job.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:03 pm

what are the chances now %-6

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Crystalstorm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:11 am

IrishDrunk wrote:
muetze wrote:What are the chances Borowski loses his closer role and would his replacement be Kobayashi?

I'd think Betancourt is a more likely replacement than Kobayashi...but, I think Eric Wedge likes to stick with what's been successful in the past, so, Borowski would have to struggle for an extended period to get the axe...

I wouldn't call Borowski successful.Most pitchers in the league could have done what he's done in the last few years.His #'s are horrible. :-t
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IrishDrunk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 am

Crystalstorm wrote:
IrishDrunk wrote:

I wouldn't call Borowski successful.Most pitchers in the league could have done what he's done in the last few years.His #'s are horrible. :-t

45 saves is bad? Yeah, he's not pretty, but, 45 saves is 45 saves...
IrishDrunk
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 am

Joe Blow will have a long leash I'm sure. But when/if the time comes for him to be replaced, either Julio or Kobayashi will get the first crack at replacing him.

Betancourt probably could be the best choice, but I don't see Wedge wanting to mix up what has worked. Only way I see him getting a shot at closing is because of injury, or as a fill in for one night, or after julio/kobayashi get a shot and it doesn't work.

and for what it's worth, Borowski is getting his arm and shoulder looked at today. He said he thinks something is wrong. So at least temporarily, one of these guys is going to get some save ops.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:36 am

Betancourt has been historically poor in save opportunities (something like 6/12, I forget exactly) and Perez is needed to get out tough leftie bats in the 7th and 8th innings. Right now I really like Kobayashi's chances of getting a crack at the job, especially since Joe Blow might get a DL cooldown after this latest meltdown.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

according to Yahoo!, Joe Blow is now marked with the red DL. the notes section doesn't have any news as to why he's gone on the DL specifically, tho we knew he was having an MRI on the shoulder and elbow today. if anyone has specifics, please share. If not, this is just a heads up that he's gone to the DL, and I'm betting on Masa to get the first shot. Jorge Julio in my estimation would be the 2nd option to close right now.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 pm

biceps tendinitis
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates