Need some SB's!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need some SB's!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Need some SB's!!

Postby chipper » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Russell James wrote:I don't. DeJesus is a solid hitter and has a better OBP.

I would go with Aybar. Everyone knows the Angels like to run and I see him having more PT than Gathright for the season.

I've heard they may move Teahen to 1B in order to make room to play both DeJesus and Gathright, but who knows.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Gathright is a decent option for SBs, but the guy will kill you in average. The most difficult thing about picking up one of these guys off of waivers is that most of them give you SBs and then hurt you in other categories.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Giambis » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Russell James wrote:Gathright is a decent option for SBs, but the guy will kill you in average. The most difficult thing about picking up one of these guys off of waivers is that most of them give you SBs and then hurt you in other categories.

I agree, for the most part. Really the major way I look to target the "speed only" guys is for platoons. Look for the speed guys with widely disparate lefty/righty splits. A useful strategy is to platoon that guy for his speed. Using Bourne as an exmaple, his numbers against righties should be better than his numbers against lefties. This has a dual advantage, as his numbers against righties will be much more tolerable, and it's (usually) easier to steal off a righty than a lefty, so most of his steals will be against those guys anyway. These are generalizations, of course, but I enjoyed doing this wtith Dave Roberts for a couple years in the past and it worked pretty well. Obviously, also play those guys when they are facing the horrible throwing catchers.
With that being said, I'm not paying attention to those types of guys much this year because my teams are all set for speed, so I don't have too many names off the top of my head.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers