This guy is running away with our league already - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This guy is running away with our league already

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This guy is running away with our league already

Postby Foul Pops » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 pm

I have never been part of a fantasy season like this. We have one owner who is running away with it. Nine team league, 10 cats ---- he is currently at 82 points! That is sick. Has anyone been part of a league where a team has such a big lead?? This guy may be off to the greatest fantasy start ever. We've been telling him that it's a long season and he will come crashing to earth eventually, but now I am starting to wonder.

He already leads the 2nd place team by 10 RBI, and 12 SB. He has Johan Santana AND Jake Peavy (NL only league)... I'm not sure he's coming back to the pack. It may be a very boring fantasy season.
Foul Pops
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This guy is running away with our league already

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm

youd have to post his team before anything. but having peavy and johan in an nl only league is sick. i assume those were his first 2 picks of the draft. please post his team and im sure the cafe will break him down for you. i can gaurantee though, that his team comes back to earth. theres too many studs slumping, and theres always your 'chris sheltons' fluking for the first month or so. maybe his team is legit, but wenwont know till u post it
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:20 pm

No way, the season is long.

In my 20 team league, I am up by 14 R, 9 HR, 16 RBI over the next best team in each category. The gap will close soon enough. We are only through 2 weeks out of 26 total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Foul Pops » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Auction league - he spent $42 on Johan, $32 on Peavy and got some $1 picks that have been good so far (Dempster, Germano)

C Yadier Molina
(StL - C) -/- - - - - -
C Jason Kendall
(Mil - C) -/- - - - - -
1B Lance Berkman
(Hou - 1B,OF) -/- - - - - -
2B Rickie Weeks
(Mil - 2B) -/- - - - - -
3B Pedro Feliz
(Phi - 3B) -/- - - - - -
SS Miguel Tejada
(Hou - SS) -/- - - - - -
CI Joey Votto
(Cin - 1B,OF) -/- - - - - -
MI Jeff Keppinger
(Cin - 3B,SS) -/- - - - - -
OF Matt Holliday
(Col - OF) -/- - - - - -
OF Nate McLouth
(Pit - OF) - - - - - -
OF Michael Bourn
(Hou - OF) -/- - - - - -
OF Kosuke Fukudome
(ChC - OF) -/- - - - - -
OF Matt Diaz
(Atl - OF) -/- - - - - -
Util Scott Hairston
(SD - OF) -/- - - - - -
BN Kazuo Matsui
(Hou - 2B) DL -/- - - - - -
BN Colby Rasmus
(StL - OF) NA -/- - - - - -
BN Wily Mo Peña
(Was - OF) -/- - - - - -
BN Jayson Werth
(Phi - OF) -/- - - - - -
Starting Lineup Totals - - - - - -

Pitching

P Johan Santana
(NYM - P) - - - - - -
P Francisco Cordero
(Cin - P) - - - - - -
P Jake Peavy
(SD - P) - - - - - -
P Trevor Hoffman
(SD - P) - - - - - -
P Edinson Vólquez
(Cin - P) - - - - - -
P Jonathan Broxton
(LAD - P) - - - - - -
P Ryan Dempster
(ChC - P) - - - - - -
P Chuck James
(Atl - P) NA - - - - - -
P Justin Germano
(SD - P) - - - - - -
BN Zach Duke
(Pit - P) - - - - - -
BN Mike Hampton
(Atl - P) DL - - - - - -
BN Mark Prior
(SD - P) DL
Foul Pops
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm currently "running away" with my 10-team league, posting a completely sick total right now of 90.5 points (out of a max. possible of 100). The nearest guy to me is at 76, and after that it drops all the way down to 59.

My lineup frankly isn't all that great either...

C - Towles (killing me in average)
1B - Tiexiera (again, killing my average)
2B - Figgins (saving my average)
SS - Tejada
3B - Braun
OF - Holliday (who has just turned it on), Francouer, Hart
UT - Pena (Carlos)
BN - Butler, Hamilton, Hernandez (killing my average)

SP - Webb, Dice-K, Lincecum, McGowan, Wainwright, Cueto
RP - Soria, Corpas, Gregg, Capps, Broxton, Bell

To this point it's just been a hot start and knowing how to manage my starting pitchers for matchups while getting as many RP-innings as I can. I know I'll come crashing back down at some point. I certainly don't expect to go wire-to-wire with the league, although it would be nice.

On the plus side though, my hot start has caused a panic among other owners, prompting many strange drops and quite a few desperation trades. For example, I've got one trade currently awaiting veto which would give me Carl Crawford and Tony Pena for Carlos Pena, Dustin McGowan, and Kevin Gregg. :-D

Believe me... I know it's not going to last. But I'm definitely enjoying it for the time being. ;-D
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Foul Pops » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:33 pm

I don't know, MTU, that offense looks pretty sick to me.
Foul Pops
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Foul Pops wrote:I don't know, MTU, that offense looks pretty sick to me.

Straight outta the draft... no real "steals" in there at all in a 10-teamer league.

1 - Holliday
2 - Braun
3 - Tiexiera
4 - Webb
5 - Figgins
6 - Pena
7 - Hart
8 - Tejada
9 - Lincecum
10 - Franceour

The only real "steals" were Linc in the 9th and Franc in the 10th... it's not like I've fleeced a bunch of the dumb owners in my league with bad trades or anything (yet).

Really I've just gotten crazy lucky by avoiding the injury bug *knock on wood*. Any number of those picks could have been an equivalent player who has gotten off to either no start or a horrible start (Sabathia, Granderson, etc, etc, etc). I'm sure there will be some point in the season where I'm scrambling for a player or two while my stud(s) are out for an extended period of time.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acon44 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Baseball, and fantasy baseball, ESPECIALLY for hitters, is all about one thing....STREAKS.

The thing is, 9/10 times, if you draft the top pitchers with your early picks and get some hot hitters that are really not supposed to be doing what they are, you will be on top of the league.

This makes perfect sense for this guy, as he took Peavy and Johan, and both are doing very well. Normally pitchers always have the edge in the early goings due to weather, and just the overall consistency of pitching vs. cold weather and streaky hitters.

With that said, hitting in baseball is ALL ABOUT who is hot. For example, if you drafted Miggy and Teix with your first 2 picks, the stats you have gotten from them are borderline useless. You could have started Jacobs and Reynolds instead and had 3x the production. The point is more so then any sport by far, hitters in baseball tend to get all their stats in bunches. There are exceptions like a guy like Vlad who is just a hitting robot and tends to never slump, but on average most hitters are VERY streaky, and on top of that many hitters do not hit as well in cold weather. Do you really believe Teix and Ortiz will be terrible this year, or do you think they will blow by Reynolds in hrs?? I play many fantasy sports for many years now, and baseball is the one sport out of all of them, that you really REALLY need to be patience, AND you have to give it AT LEAST a month before standings mean ANYTHING.

So right now you have guys like Reynolds, Jacobs, Crede etc. pulling their hot streaks at the start and making them more valuable then the top hitters drafted. The point is that first, these guys not only will not continue this level of production, but do not have the same amount of streaks in them as Teix, Miggy, Holliday, Ortiz, etc.

So will that guy stay in first all year? Maybe, or maybe not. That is quite a nice staff to have in a NL only, but that does not mean he is running away with anything. Wait til the top hitters get hot, and these scrubs are standing still with their stats, and you will have a much much better idea of how good his team is.
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't think his hitting looks great at all for a 9 team league to be honest. there are way too many guys who aren't as established. Berkman, Holliday legit and ill grant tejada for sake of argument. Feliz is a detriment at 3rd in a 9 team league, Votto isn't helping at CI, because of the opportunity cost, im sure there are teams with much better 1b/CI combos, mclouth, keppinger, bourn, fokudome doing well, but I'm not ready to say I would be depending on all of them, and not in a 9 team league.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Old_Style » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 pm

great gretzky wrote:I don't think his hitting looks great at all for a 9 team league to be honest. there are way too many guys who aren't as established. Berkman, Holliday legit and ill grant tejada for sake of argument. Feliz is a detriment at 3rd in a 9 team league, Votto isn't helping at CI, because of the opportunity cost, im sure there are teams with much better 1b/CI combos, mclouth, keppinger, bourn, fokudome doing well, but I'm not ready to say I would be depending on all of them, and not in a 9 team league.

I'm no expert in AL/NL only leagues, but his team doesn't look that bad at the moment.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers