Crawford or Byrd - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crawford or Byrd

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:31 pm

Crawford is a proven stolen base monster, Byrd is not. Byrd will hit 10HR's, Crawford will hit 5HR's. They will both get 80-90Runs. They will both have 50-60RBI's. Both's BA's will hover around .300. They are similar players, but Crawford will get you 40 more steals than Byrd.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Get'in it on like Donkey Kong!

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:17 pm

Mr.Cocky! wrote:Crawford is a proven stolen base monster, Byrd is not. Byrd will hit 10HR's, Crawford will hit 5HR's. They will both get 80-90Runs. They will both have 50-60RBI's. Both's BA's will hover around .300. They are similar players, but Crawford will get you 40 more steals than Byrd.


Actually, this overstates the case. Byrd is a decent shot to hit 15-20 HRs. Byrd got 86 runs in 100 fewer ABs than Crawford last year. Look for him to out-score Crawford by 20-30 runs if they get the same plate appearances. Crawford is more of a .270-.280 hitter, while Byrd is more of a .290-.310 hitter. He's a good bet to out-hit Crawford by 15 or 20 points.

Finally, Byrd pretty much matched Crawford in SBs at A and AA and had a better SB percentage than Crawford throughout his minor league career (Byrd was 96 for 109 in SBs). The only recent he hasn't stolen in AAA and MLB, is the Phils haven't given him the green light. If they do, he could beat Crawford in SBs.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby ondeckb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 pm

Byrd has a lot of abilty for the future....but Crawford has a lot of ability for the future and PRESENT.....CRAWFORD!!!
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1095
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Fountains

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:34 pm

Byrd stole 11 bags in 485AB's. So assuming he gets 100 more AB's, we are expected to believe he will get 40 more SB's. Dang, time to put Byrd in the top 10 OF catagory.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Get'in it on like Donkey Kong!

Postby shortsavage » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:44 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Mr.Cocky! wrote:Crawford is a proven stolen base monster, Byrd is not. Byrd will hit 10HR's, Crawford will hit 5HR's. They will both get 80-90Runs. They will both have 50-60RBI's. Both's BA's will hover around .300. They are similar players, but Crawford will get you 40 more steals than Byrd.


Actually, this overstates the case. Byrd is a decent shot to hit 15-20 HRs. Byrd got 86 runs in 100 fewer ABs than Crawford last year. Look for him to out-score Crawford by 20-30 runs if they get the same plate appearances. Crawford is more of a .270-.280 hitter, while Byrd is more of a .290-.310 hitter. He's a good bet to out-hit Crawford by 15 or 20 points.

Finally, Byrd pretty much matched Crawford in SBs at A and AA and had a better SB percentage than Crawford throughout his minor league career (Byrd was 96 for 109 in SBs). The only recent he hasn't stolen in AAA and MLB, is the Phils haven't given him the green light. If they do, he could beat Crawford in SBs.


Nice post GTWMA. I am a big Byrd fan myself. However, I do not think he should currently be valued more than Crawford in a keeper league because he is 4 years older and Crawford has already tapped more of his potential.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby LCBOY » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:51 pm

Why would anyone want Crawford? I have no idea. Last season he hit .281/.309/.362 with 5 HR, 18 doubles, and 26/102 BB/K ratio. The BA is OK but a .309 OBP is bad. Oh, he might have some value in roto because of his steals but in my H2H league, with 11 offensive categories, I'd take Byrd first. One gives up too much in offense just to get Crawford's steals. Byrd was 11/12 stealing last season. He can steal bases. In 2003, Byrd hit .303/.366/.418 with 28 doubles. He'll draw more walks, hit more doubles and HRs, score more runs, strike out, and get CS fewer times than Crawford.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Byrd is another Randy Winn, with a few more HR's, and a few less SB's.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Get'in it on like Donkey Kong!

Postby shortsavage » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:01 pm

Mr.Cocky! wrote:Byrd is another Randy Winn, with a few more HR's, and a few less SB's.


What do you mean by "another Randy Winn"? Is this a gut or statistical comparison?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:02 pm

This is a fact.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Get'in it on like Donkey Kong!

Postby shortsavage » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Mr.Cocky! wrote:This is a fact.


Oh, sweet. Can you enlighten me more then?

Or how 'bout a comparison to Eric Munson? Does he stack up well against Byrd, pound for pound, stat for stat :-D.
Last edited by shortsavage on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Jul. 27
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(1:10 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(1:35 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(2:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
San Diego at Atlanta
(5:05 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(7:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact