Are My Leaguemates Idiots? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are My Leaguemates Idiots?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Are My Leaguemates Idiots?

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:07 pm

MTUCache wrote:Personally, I don't really see how this gives you an advantage really... sure, right now it looks great, as you run away with Saves, but two months from now how are you going to look with Wins and QS?

I think the question is less about strategy (whether it is a good one or not) and more about ethics.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 pm

MTUCache wrote:Personally, I don't really see how this gives you an advantage really... sure, right now it looks great, as you run away with Saves, but two months from now how are you going to look with Wins and QS?

Other teams are going to be getting 1000+ IP out of their starters, racking up Wins and QS through the season, leaving them with just 200 or less IP for closers, putting them around 50-60 saves, depending on their two closers.

Meanwhile, you'll be getting only 800 IP out of your starters (making it tough to get anywhere near the other teams in W/QS), and probably 400 IP out of your four closers (and any MR), putting you around 100 saves.

I really don't see how this benefits you... you'll keep up in Ks if you have the right closers, and you could scalp enough wins to stay around even (maybe), but you're likely going to be getting hammered in W/QS, and probably middle of the pack in Ks... especially if a couple teams have three premier starters who will rack up all three.

In the end, the IP-max and QS should even out any "punting" involved, and leave you with whoever can keep their ratios the best. You do have an advantage there, essentially removing a fifth starter from the rotation, but it's not too late for any team in the league to do that (and pick up a couple of MRs or closers, which you said were available).

A lot of excitement about something that will even out in the end...

Part of the idea may be (or really SHOULD be) contending in Ks, WHIP, ERA, and Saves while keeping IP low. Once other owners have reached their limits and are stuck with useless SPs they can't use anymore, trade for stud SPs at bargain prices or pick them up when they're cut in order to maximize the quality of the starts. It might work, but a lot has to go right.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:31 pm

This thread has been a great read. I agree with what great gretzsky has said throughout.

I am actually a little surprised that this is even an issue because it seems like such a basic strategy. Maybe they prefer the league to be more of a casual league and not a competitive one? I don't really understand it.

If I were you I would just gracefully bow out of the league. Usually when complaining like this happens either they need to go or you need to go. If the majority is against you, then it would be best if you left. I view this like I view bad transmission on a car. You can fix it, but usually once the transmission goes you have problems continuously. These guys will keep complaining until they start winning.

What burns me, if I read this thread right, is that these guys didn't start complaining until after you started winning. When you made the moves last year and punted saves, they criticized you. Then your strategy worked and they started complaining. What if the strategy had failed miserably? Would they have complained that what you did was unfair? Of course not. This year you draft your players and there was probably a solid 2 weeks before the season started between drafts. Did they complain about your team before the draft? during the draft? Just makes no sense to me.

Good Luck this season.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

i didnt really all 5 pages of this but to me, this is without question ridiculous. this isnt even close to being cheaters or even finding loopholes. its utterly ridiculous.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:17 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i didnt really all 5 pages of this but to me, this is without question ridiculous. this isnt even close to being cheaters or even finding loopholes. its utterly ridiculous.

Agreed...I read about a page and a half of this and I'm seriously appalled...like I could take a swing at these guys...

They seem to be completely senseless...they're acting ridiculous

The gripe last year can MAYBE be understood...though I feel you can do anything outlined in the rules to try to win your league

BUT...the complaint this year is simply laughable...they should be ashamed of themselves...I feel like a 4th grader could realize how much of a joke this complaint is...I can't even begin to explain how stupid they sound because it seems implied...that message you copied from a dissenter is shocking...what does he think P means?
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:42 pm

A little off-topic, but something that the complainer said.

for god's sake its been like 2 weeks and [Doughhead] has a nice lead in saves although they are all mediocre relievers (Valverde, Corpas, Soria, Capps)

Valverde led the league in saves last year, Corpas was automatic in the second half last season and plays for a great team, the only thing that makes Soria and Capps mediocre is that they play for mediocre teams because both look nasty, especially Soria.

This sounds like a frustrated Putz owner.

Do they expect everyone to draft 1 of the 3 elite closers?
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers