ANGEL pitching staff.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ANGEL pitching staff....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Angels02and04 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:11 am

Take Escobars stats as you may. I know his ERA against the AL West last year wasn't that great and you can take something from that if you wish, however, for every stat that goes against you there is a stat that goes for you. His ERA vs. the West was high, I don't have the number in front of me, but I know it was high.

Even with that said these were his stats on Grass 2.84 ERA, 8 wins and 2 losses. That's pretty solid. He is a groundball pitcher and him moving to a grass field should help him. I think this may be one of the most overlooked stats on this guy.

I also checked and other than Anaheim, the only time he pitched on the road against an AL WEST team it was in Safeco and he pitched a solid game. 7IP and he gave up 2 ER. So his inflated ERA against the West came at Toronto where he was a bad pitcher. I really believe the turf (especially in Toronto) hurt him. Balls take off on that turf there and get through the infield before the infielders can make a play.
Angels02and04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:15 am

Angels02and04 wrote:Take Escobars stats as you may. I know his ERA against the AL West last year wasn't that great and you can take something from that if you wish, however, for every stat that goes against you there is a stat that goes for you. His ERA vs. the West was high, I don't have the number in front of me, but I know it was high.

Even with that said these were his stats on Grass 2.84 ERA, 8 wins and 2 losses. That's pretty solid. He is a groundball pitcher and him moving to a grass field should help him. I think this may be one of the most overlooked stats on this guy.

agreed! ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:50 am

I really like the Angels staff this year. The Colon signing was the best FA pick up this off-season but the Escobar one may be the worst.

Colon is a true ace. He eats up innings (698 in the past three years is second only to Hudson) and threw 9 CG last year. Colon is now their stopper. This will take a lot of pressure off of both Washburn and the pen. Ortiz should be better this year too. His Dad battled illness and died during last season so you can't blame him for not focussing on the game.

You've got to love K-rod and Donnelly as set up men. If Percival stays healthy this is a very good pen.

I have no idea why Escobar is so popular. He failed as a closer and is mediocre as a starter. He is wildly inconsistent, sulky and has never pitched 200 innings. Its a good thing that the Angels have quality depth.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Angel's Staff

Postby Triple Crown » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:52 pm

I'd like to see a rebound year from Washburn. I'm just concerned w/the little injuries that seemed to creep up on him. Has anyone heard how his hip is?
Triple Crown

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby reelbiggecko » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:03 pm

Ortiz could easily lose his rotation spot to Sele in spring training. He's got a Pedro-like frame but without Pedro's freak abilities, and that could be cause for concern.

Lackey's a good guy that has #2 starter written all over him for the future.

For this year though, I would like Colon, then Washburn (I agree, he'll bounce back), and Lackey if you have a keeper league. I wouldn't touch the other three (Ortiz, Escobar, Sele) with a ten-foot pole.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:47 pm

reelbiggecko wrote:Ortiz could easily lose his rotation spot to Sele in spring training. He's got a Pedro-like frame but without Pedro's freak abilities, and that could be cause for concern.

Lackey's a good guy that has #2 starter written all over him for the future.

For this year though, I would like Colon, then Washburn (I agree, he'll bounce back), and Lackey if you have a keeper league. I wouldn't touch the other three (Ortiz, Escobar, Sele) with a ten-foot pole.

What do you have against Ortiz?

In 2002 he was 15-9 with a sub 4 ERA 1.18 WHIP and 162 K in 217 IP.

Last year his father was sick all year and Ortiz finally took the first part of Sept off to be with him while he died. This offseason he had a kid, named him after his father and is, by all reports happy and anxious to get back to baseball.

He had been improving every year in almost every statistical cat until last year. I give him the benefit of the doubt and think that he is a great sleeper pick.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:50 pm

cmon now mook - you dont want to give away too much. let them discount Ortiz.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers