100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Oh, kids these days!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oh, kids these days!

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:44 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
"I think most people who take the course would find it easier to get a girlfriend," Prakash was quoted as saying. "But I'm not really looking for a girlfriend now as I want to concentrate on my studies."

There's the problem right there. ;-7

Educated people aren't having babies anymore.
I hate governments with a passion that have a baby bonus, that just fills the trailer parks.
For an educated person who isn't keen on kids, $5000 isn't going to change their mind so that "incentive" is a waste of time.

I think the issue, at least the issue that Singapore is addressing with these classes, is that their young educated people are too socially awkward and spend too much time learn math and not enough time learning how to talk to members of the opposite sex. That is probably true of all countries. If you look at the number of sexually active students in American colleges, the number in the more time consuming majors (like bio and chem) is much lower than in majors that are less time consuming.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:39 am

thedude wrote:I think the issue, at least the issue that Singapore is addressing with these classes, is that their young educated people are too socially awkward and spend too much time learn math and not enough time learning how to talk to members of the opposite sex. That is probably true of all countries. If you look at the number of sexually active students in American colleges, the number in the more time consuming majors (like bio and chem) is much lower than in majors that are less time consuming.

Why exactly is that considered a "problem"?

I mean, the flow should be:

Education so one can provide for themselves and their family.
Meet a significant other.
Get married.
Start family.
Live on solid income(s).

But pushing young people to have kids results in:

Early pregnancy.
Loss of education (gotta work to support the baby).
Unhappy and stressful marriages.
Trying to live off burger-flipping wages.
Ruined lives (for everyone).

Just doesn't make sense to me...
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:09 am

I have to agree with madison.

I mean people should not worry about kids until they either A. Have a set career/job.
B. Get their degree and get on the path to A.

But as we all know things do not always work out that way.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:34 pm

thedude wrote:I think the issue, at least the issue that Singapore is addressing with these classes, is that their young educated people are too socially awkward and spend too much time learn math and not enough time learning how to talk to members of the opposite sex. That is probably true of all countries. If you look at the number of sexually active students in American colleges, the number in the more time consuming majors (like bio and chem) is much lower than in majors that are less time consuming.

Are you also insinuating that those of who wasted their time in computer science can't get some either? ;-7 :-b

In general, I noticed that when I was earning my CS degree, that I had less time with my first girlfriend and that's why we were just on and off again and that's why the relationship never really worked out. Most of my peers even though they don't fall into the lab geek stereotype were just apathetic about pursuing relationships. Finding balance is key and it can be done, as it worked some in my second and third relationships, and I still had time to get wasted with friends and all that good stuff. :-b

Back on topic, I'm more or less surprised that this is a government-backed program and two, how detailed it is in going skin deep to look into the psychology of love songs, glances, and so on. I'm with Mad that this is a really awkward program given that it encourages folks to go out there and multiply when usually encouraging getting a good education leads to greater societal health while letting the dating/relationships come more naturally.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Previous

Return to General Talk