Oh, kids these days! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Oh, kids these days!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oh, kids these days!

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 am

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Wanna know what love is? Ask a Singaporean lecturer.

In an effort to boost the city-state's low birth rate, Singapore's Ngee Ann Polytechnic has launched a government-backed course teaching students about flirting and relationships. Subjects include love song analysis, speed-dating and online chatting.

"My teacher said if a guy looks into my eyes for more than five seconds, it could mean that he is attracted to me and I stand a chance," 18-year-old student Isabel Seet was quoted as saying by the local Straits Times newspaper.

The course, "Understanding Relationships: Love and Sexuality", is taught by an official from the Social Development Unit, the government's match-making agency.

It has become so popular since its inception in October last year that the school has had to recruit another trainer, the polytechnic's spokeswoman told Reuters.

The course is intended to provide an "understanding of the fundamentals of human relationships" and is one of two offered by Singapore's polytechnics to encourage young Singaporeans to get married, the newspaper said.

Fearing that an ageing population will hurt economic growth, Singapore's government has been trying for years to encourage educated young people in particular to have children, with incentives ranging from tax breaks to "baby bonuses".

There has also been more hands-on encouragement for university students in the form of parties and trips organised by the Social Development Unit.

"By learning the dynamics and intricacies of diverse relations, they can effectively apply strategies and techniques to cultivate fulfilling lifelong relationships," the spokeswoman said.

The course is modelled along general elective classes that students from all faculties can take.

Student Kamal Prakash told the Straits Times that while his relationship with his parents has improved since taking the course, he is still single.

"I think most people who take the course would find it easier to get a girlfriend," Prakash was quoted as saying. "But I'm not really looking for a girlfriend now as I want to concentrate on my studies."

http://africa.reuters.com/odd/news/usnSIN300246.html
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oh, kids these days!

Postby Old_Style » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:47 am

"I think most people who take the course would find it easier to get a girlfriend," Prakash was quoted as saying. "But I'm not really looking for a girlfriend now as I want to concentrate on my studies."

There's the problem right there. ;-7
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 am

SingaporeMatch.com... I can see it now.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:36 am

Old_Style wrote:

Educated people aren't having babies anymore.
I hate governments with a passion that have a baby bonus, that just fills the trailer parks.
For an educated person who isn't keen on kids, $5000 isn't going to change their mind so that "incentive" is a waste of time.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:43 am

I thought China's birthrate was already something crazy? :-? I remember hearing the story that if you took everyone born in China and they walked past you single-file, the line would never end due to the continued births. :-? Or was that a different country and I'm totally losing my mind? :-S :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:46 am

Madison wrote:I thought China's birthrate was already something crazy? :-? I remember hearing the story that if you took everyone born in China and they walked past you single-file, the line would never end due to the continued births. :-? Or was that a different country and I'm totally losing my mind? :-S :-o

I may be way off, but I think I heard they had a one child per couple cap now?
And the second one is "disposed of" ?
Does that ring of correctness to anyone? :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Half Massed » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 am

There are courses like this all over America, the only reason this is newsworthy is that it's government-backed. Singapore's government is pretty good in dealing with public interest items, such as health care (Singapore has a really good system for universal health care), and I guess this is an interesting way to deal with the low-birth rate problem. It appears to be successful so far, if you can judge solely on interest in the course.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:20 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Madison wrote:I thought China's birthrate was already something crazy? :-? I remember hearing the story that if you took everyone born in China and they walked past you single-file, the line would never end due to the continued births. :-? Or was that a different country and I'm totally losing my mind? :-S :-o

Yeah, I remember something about needing a license (might have been a permit) to have a child too. :-?

I really gotta find some time to get back into the loop on a few things. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

I think that's just girls (to keep the birth rate down) but they're given up for adoption. My parents neighbors have 2.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:27 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Old_Style wrote:

Educated people aren't having babies anymore.
I hate governments with a passion that have a baby bonus, that just fills the trailer parks.
For an educated person who isn't keen on kids, $5000 isn't going to change their mind so that "incentive" is a waste of time.

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? Maybe it's an "elitist" movie, but I personally thought it was hilarious. The beginning of the movie makes fun of the topic you are talking about.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk