Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Phil Hughes

Postby High Heater » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 am

he needs to get control. he was all over the place. 39 pitches in the first inning is not going to cut it.

control was this kids calling card and it's nowhere to be seen. he's only 21 but he hasnt matched the hype at all that was set on him and i'm starting to doubt it ever will. he looks more like a solid 2-3 type then a potential ace to me.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:52 am

Wow, bailing so soon on him, Heater? I'm surprised you think this way. I must say, I wasn't too worried about him until you said that. Any insight on why you think his control has abandoned him?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 am

High Heater wrote:he needs to get control. he was all over the place. 39 pitches in the first inning is not going to cut it.

control was this kids calling card and it's nowhere to be seen. he's only 21 but he hasnt matched the hype at all that was set on him and i'm starting to doubt it ever will. he looks more like a solid 2-3 type then a potential ace to me.

He's had 2 bad starts. Chill.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
High Heater wrote:he needs to get control. he was all over the place. 39 pitches in the first inning is not going to cut it.

Seriously, his last two starts have been in horrible weather, and Boston has one of the best lineups in the AL. If you started him against Boston, you probably deserve the bad start. When the season is all said and done, I think he will be sitting in the 4.0-4.3 range with his ERA. He is going to be up and down all season, mixing disaster with mastery.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Seriously, his last two starts have been in horrible weather, and Boston has one of the best lineups in the AL. If you started him against Boston, you probably deserve the bad start. When the season is all said and done, I think he will be sitting in the 4.0-4.3 range with his ERA. He is going to be up and down all season, mixing disaster with mastery.

His problem last night was control. He displayed some of his incredible stuff...making Pedroia look foolish in 2 of his at-bats. He just couldn't consistently throw the stuff for strikes. Now consider the weather, the line-up he was facing, that pinball machine ballpark he was playing in....and the fact that it is only April 13th.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:41 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:Any possibility that the cold has been detrimental to Hughes' performance over his last 2 outings?

Bingo.....its been very cold in a lot of places to start the year. That alone makes me kind of ignore alot of peoples slow starts....its been horrid playing conditions in alot of places this year. Hughes is a solid pitcher....definately gotta keep ahold of him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby blankman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 am

A couple of you guys beat me to it, but I really do think its the cold. He was blowing on his hands nonstop between pitches, much more so than any other pitcher I've seen in the series.

In his one game out of the cold, his first start, he was dominant. His fastball is back up to 93 and once he gets a start in a dome or warm city, I think he'll be right back on track.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:24 am

If Hughes still struggles in June/July then I might start worrying. Two starts in April doesn't mean anything. I might be a bit more picky on when to start him but don't give up on a 22 yo kid with a massive potential.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:49 am

blankman wrote:A couple of you guys beat me to it, but I really do think its the cold. He was blowing on his hands nonstop between pitches, much more so than any other pitcher I've seen in the series.

Maybe he's just a girly man.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:
blankman wrote:A couple of you guys beat me to it, but I really do think its the cold. He was blowing on his hands nonstop between pitches, much more so than any other pitcher I've seen in the series.

Maybe he's just a girly man.

:-b I'm sure it's nothing a trip to Comerica won't cure! (Comerica National Park-home of the toothless Tigers)

I do wonder what this says about his mental make-up. If he has such great stuff, shouldn't he have found some pitches that work for him in the cold and survived that way? If it's a softness factor, how can he be expected to perform when teams don't just roll over and play Tigers?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers