Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phil Hughes

Postby soccerballer002 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:42 pm

So, what are we thinking about good old Phil after tonights outing? Does he have any fantasy relevance this year? I know in my league I am sleeping on whether or not to throw him out and probably will, just dont want to be rash. I know some potential is there, but in that division I don't think its worth roughing it out.
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phil Hughes

Postby BigTex24 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 pm

I think he needs to learn a new pitch.
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Field » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 pm

I think he's going to be fine, just going through some growing pains right now. His stuff looked good tonight, but the Red Sox were really patient. His fastball and curve are both great pitches. I do agree that he could use a better 3rd pitch same as Bonderman.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby soccerballer002 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:14 pm

BigTex24 wrote:I think he needs to learn a new pitch.

Haha good stuff. Yea, the promise is most definitely there...just gotta grow a little bit. Well, grow quite a bit.
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Like almost all young pitchers, Hughes arrived in the majors with a changeup that demonstrated plus potential. Of course he hasn't fully harnessed the pitch yet, which is unfortunate given that the changeup is likely the single most powerful pitch in a guy's arsenal (you cannot pick up spin or arm speed if a guy throws it right, so it's really unstoppable). Guys like Hamels, who came to the bigs with a well-developed change but lacking a strong third pitch (he throws a mediocre curve), tend to acclimate much faster.

That being said, Hughes is going to go through his rough spots this year and I wouldn't start him against teams that are strong in left-handed power or teams that are known as being patient hitting teams (i.e. the Red Sox). But there are a lot of AL squads that I would feel comfortable pitting the young guy against--in his own division, he can already do a good job against Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay's rightie-dominant lineups. Spot-start him and you might only get 15-20 starts, but they'll probably average out to 3.50 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and he'll give you wins w/ the Yanks behind him.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:03 am

Any possibility that the cold has been detrimental to Hughes' performance over his last 2 outings?
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:07 am

I would give him more time. Phil Hughes is no rookie, but he is very young and has the talent to be very good.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby colt4523 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:13 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:Any possibility that the cold has been detrimental to Hughes' performance over his last 2 outings?

I actually do. It looked like he was more concerned with blowing in his hands tonight then pitching.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby MrE » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:22 am

I think the Yankees have played every game in the cold this year. You can tell it is bothering Hughes....after every pitch he is blowing on his hands (this has happened in both of his past two starts). I think playing against the Sox for the first time was also an eye-opening experience.
- MrE -
MrE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:Any possibility that the cold has been detrimental to Hughes' performance over his last 2 outings?

Right on, guys. I thought it was just me that thought Hughes was struggling with the cold. The bite on his curve is inconsistent and I notice it hangs more often than it did last summer. His fastball is also drifting up in (or out of) the strike zone quite a bit. I imagine that cold hands could contribute to that.

I might sit him for his next few starts, especially if it's cold. If he continues throwing all over the place once it warms up, however, I might cut my losses and hope next year is the year he puts it together. He's still only 21, after all...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers