Tricky auction question. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tricky auction question.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tricky auction question.

Postby fantasy_gamer » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:08 pm

I know most normal auction are 23 players per squad with a $260 cap. However ours is 21 players per squad (16 squads) with a $260 cap.

Our breakdown is 11 starting hitters/9 pitchers/1 bench player. Meaning we must draft our starting lineups at the auction itself -- and given 1 free bench slot to take anyone/any position.

Common sense tells me this boosts the amount I can pay per player (i.e most sites I see Pujols at or around $40-$43 for the standard 23 players per squad.....but see him as a few dollars more in mine).

Taking into account that we only start 11 hitters (vs. 13 in most leagues) and we obtain only 21 (vs. normal 23), how much more on average would you think I could spend on a player?
fantasy_gamer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby PacBellParker » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:46 pm

If you want a simple answer, this change of two less players means that your average player will cost you 9.5% more ($12.38 instead of $11.30). You should bump all prices up 9.5%.

However, be careful in following this too closely. My guess would be that the $1-3 players won't be bumped at all, and the more expensive players will jump by more than 9.5%.

Also, consider whether you want to concentrate the price jump in hitters. Many drafters want to allocate a certain portion of their dollars to hitting and the remainder to pitching. (I usually spend around $160 on hitting and $100 on pitching.) With less hitters in your starting lineup, this makes the ones that you do have that much more important. Maybe you would want to bump the hitter's prices up 12-13%, while only moving pitchers up 4-5% or so.
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:11 pm

PacBellParker wrote:If you want a simple answer, this change of two less players means that your average player will cost you 9.5% more ($12.38 instead of $11.30). You should bump all prices up 9.5%.

However, be careful in following this too closely. My guess would be that the $1-3 players won't be bumped at all, and the more expensive players will jump by more than 9.5%.

Also, consider whether you want to concentrate the price jump in hitters. Many drafters want to allocate a certain portion of their dollars to hitting and the remainder to pitching. (I usually spend around $160 on hitting and $100 on pitching.) With less hitters in your starting lineup, this makes the ones that you do have that much more important. Maybe you would want to bump the hitter's prices up 12-13%, while only moving pitchers up 4-5% or so.

great awnser ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:20 am

Thanks for the good answer. I do value hitters a bit more than pitchers (usually right around a 190/70 split), so your advice sounds solid.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers