Fear & Loathing in Los Angeles? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fear & Loathing in Los Angeles?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fear & Loathing in Los Angeles?

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 am

fantasyfiend wrote:And the writers ran DePodesta out of town for this?

DePodesta really got screwed over. Any success the Dodgers are having is attributable to his very wise decision in '03-'04 not to squander prospects to win 5 more games and get swept in the first round instead of making the playoffs.

DePodesta kept the core of young talent in tact while all Colletti has done is come in with completely idiotic signings - Pierre, Jones, Wolf, Schmidt. The jury can still be said to be out on Jones, but the result were horrible in the other three cases. Colletti has handed a golden situation of a team with great young talent and tons of payroll flexibility, and he pissed it away with stupid FA signings that any informed person could say wwere misguided before the ink dried. He now has a situation where superior young players are being blocked by his albotross contracts.

And this isn't even getting into some of the other questionable trades that could have backfired on him, like Lugo for Guzman, who defied everyone's expectations and wound up sucking.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Andruw Jones is batting second tonight.

/End of point
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Andruw Jones is batting second tonight.

/End of point

Joe has borrowed Dusty's dice.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby BigTex24 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 pm

We should make a thread, "Predict the Dodgers lineup." Whoever predicts the right lineup for the day gets a prize.
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Frank McCourt still runs the Dodgers to make a profit. :-t

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... sp&c_id=la

Believe me, if there's fear and loathing in Dodgertown, it should be more in the front office than with Joe Torre.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:33 am

I haven't seen the same line-up twice.
Jones/Nomar/Kent at 2-3-4 today?
Is it washed-up day at Dodger Stadium? :-S :-S :-S

Free Matt Kemp!
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:44 am

AussieDodger wrote:I haven't seen the same line-up twice.
Jones/Nomar/Kent at 2-3-4 today?
Is it washed-up day at Dodger Stadium? :-S :-S :-S

Free Matt Kemp!

because it hasnt been the same one time this season.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daniel80111 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:31 am

stumpak wrote:
fantasyfiend wrote:And the writers ran DePodesta out of town for this?

DePodesta really got screwed over. Any success the Dodgers are having is attributable to his very wise decision in '03-'04 not to squander prospects to win 5 more games and get swept in the first round instead of making the playoffs.

DePodesta kept the core of young talent in tact while all Colletti has done is come in with completely idiotic signings - Pierre, Jones, Wolf, Schmidt. The jury can still be said to be out on Jones, but the result were horrible in the other three cases. Colletti has handed a golden situation of a team with great young talent and tons of payroll flexibility, and he pissed it away with stupid FA signings that any informed person could say wwere misguided before the ink dried. He now has a situation where superior young players are being blocked by his albotross contracts.

And this isn't even getting into some of the other questionable trades that could have backfired on him, like Lugo for Guzman, who defied everyone's expectations and wound up sucking.

We should have some patience, I think it will come together at some point this season. I know Colletti personally, and I think he knows what he's doing.

I like the kids getting broken in into the majors at a good pace, and also the Takashi Saito scouting/signing.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:45 am

daniel80111 wrote:We should have some patience, I think it will come together at some point this season. I know Colletti personally, and I think he knows what he's doing.

I like the kids getting broken in into the majors at a good pace, and also the Takashi Saito scouting/signing.

O rly? :-?

I would like to counter with the Pierre and Schmidt signings, and say he doesn't know what he's doing at all. And that he landed luckily on a well-stocked team.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby daniel80111 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:34 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
daniel80111 wrote:We should have some patience, I think it will come together at some point this season. I know Colletti personally, and I think he knows what he's doing.

O rly? :-?

I would like to counter with the Pierre and Schmidt signings, and say he doesn't know what he's doing at all. And that he landed luckily on a well-stocked team.

That is true, he did land on a well-stocked team and the Schmidt and Pierre signings were devastating, with that said, I think he has drafted fairly well in the past couple years. I'm excited as anybody about Clayton Kershaw. While the signings are really bad, don't you like that he is holding onto the prospects and letting a star emerge out of the group?? And then making a decision on moving some of them. The worst thing to do is pull off a Victor Zambrano trade. So I agree the signings are really bad, but he didnt have to give up any young prized prospects and get a veteran with a knee jerk move. Lets give it some time.
daniel80111
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers