Stalking the DL for Pitchers - Who to grab? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Stalking the DL for Pitchers - Who to grab?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Stalking the DL for Pitchers - Who to grab?

Postby Great Gazoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 am

What are some opinions on S. Hill? I know his K's and W's won't be all world, but his ERA and Whip may be a nice addition to the bottom of a rotation.
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Chris Carpenter and Curt Schilling.

Agreed on Carpenter. I actually drafted him in my 12 teamer with the intention of stashing him in my DL spot until he returned. Of course, that was before Smoltz, Gallardo, Wigginton and Granderson all hit the DL for my team. :-o However, once those guys are healthy and back to regular playing time, I will probably pick him up again and wait it out for the end of the season.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby jtbarr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 pm

The guy that might help you the soonest is... don't laugh... Harden. Yes, I know it's Rich DL Harden we're talking about but he may not be hurt that bad and who knows, maybe this is the year that he actually pitches.

Look at his numbers in the two games he's pitched so far this year. Completely dominating.

He might be back by the end of the month. Again, I know the ridiculous history with Harden but he's still young and maybe this is the year it happens for him.
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby facts » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 am

jtbarr wrote:The guy that might help you the soonest is... don't laugh... Harden. Yes, I know it's Rich DL Harden we're talking about but he may not be hurt that bad and who knows, maybe this is the year that he actually pitches.

Look at his numbers in the two games he's pitched so far this year. Completely dominating.

He might be back by the end of the month. Again, I know the ridiculous history with Harden but he's still young and maybe this is the year it happens for him.

Excuse me for a moment....HAHAHAHAHA. Rich "DL" Harden and Maria Prior have shown time and time again that they can't handle the slightest tweak of their body. They will never be ready, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even attempting to get people's hopes up about "DL."

For those who take this mans advice get used to living in the world of delayed expectations and then the inevitable dissappointment of throwing sessions being cut short and sporadic shut downs and sabbaticals. Please, spare yourself the horror and pickup Jamie Moyer instead.
facts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jtbarr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 pm

facts wrote:
jtbarr wrote:The guy that might help you the soonest is... don't laugh... Harden. Yes, I know it's Rich DL Harden we're talking about but he may not be hurt that bad and who knows, maybe this is the year that he actually pitches.

Excuse me for a moment....HAHAHAHAHA. Rich "DL" Harden and Maria Prior have shown time and time again that they can't handle the slightest tweak of their body. They will never be ready, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even attempting to get people's hopes up about "DL."

For those who take this mans advice get used to living in the world of delayed expectations and then the inevitable dissappointment of throwing sessions being cut short and sporadic shut downs and sabbaticals. Please, spare yourself the horror and pickup Jamie Moyer instead.

I am completely ashamed for getting people hopes up about Harden but I can't resist getting sucked into the Harden void, where all common sense is cast aside by visions of sub-2.00 era pitchers being picked up off the waiver wire.

My thought here, all kidding aside, is that there's one huuuuge difference between Harden and the other super-talented young busts like Prior and others. The difference: Harden is an absolutely dominant force every time he returns from the DL (which as we all know, is several times each and every season). The same cannot be said about Prior. Hell, look at Liriano now, who knows if he'll ever return to form. Buuuuut, Harden's so amazingly good when he does pitch that he's worth looking at now, especially since he may come back and actually pitch (God forbid) a whole season one of these years. As a past Harden owner I know all about his paper thin ability to withstand a hangnail, but at is relatively young age, I gotta believe (hope) that he's gonna actually pitch.... will it be this year, eh who knows, but if he does, it'll be a lucky owner who picks him up.
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deutschland » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm

jtbarr wrote:
facts wrote:

I am completely ashamed for getting people hopes up about Harden but I can't resist getting sucked into the Harden void, where all common sense is cast aside by visions of sub-2.00 era pitchers being picked up off the waiver wire.

My thought here, all kidding aside, is that there's one huuuuge difference between Harden and the other super-talented young busts like Prior and others. The difference: Harden is an absolutely dominant force every time he returns from the DL (which as we all know, is several times each and every season). The same cannot be said about Prior. Hell, look at Liriano now, who knows if he'll ever return to form. Buuuuut, Harden's so amazingly good when he does pitch that he's worth looking at now, especially since he may come back and actually pitch (God forbid) a whole season one of these years. As a past Harden owner I know all about his paper thin ability to withstand a hangnail, but at is relatively young age, I gotta believe (hope) that he's gonna actually pitch.... will it be this year, eh who knows, but if he does, it'll be a lucky owner who picks him up.

I agree. Until there is information that says Harden's injury is worse than it is I will continue to stash him in the hopes he will get me some starts this year. He is the only one you can rely on (hahaha) to pitch like an ace when he actually pitches. The same cannot be said about guys like Prior and Pedro and certainly not about less-talented guys that have been mentioned in this thread. This may all change when the next update comes in but for now Harden is definitely at the top of my injured pitchers list.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theBigHouse » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Wrangor wrote:What about Kelvim Escobar? What is his prognosis?

Good question... any updates out there? Yahoo says, "Apr 14 Escobar (shoulder) has progressed far enough in his rehab and strengthening program that he could begin throwing by the end of the week, the Orange County Register reports.

Recommendation: The last time Escobar embarked upon a throwing program, he had to get shut down, so this will be a pretty critical week for him"

I wonder if there's a potential time table for his return though. And if not, any guesses on how effective he might be even if/when he does? Thanks
theBigHouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Trizza » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:44 pm

I wouldn't even talk about Escobar right now. They were still talking career threatening a week ago so wait until he throws from flat ground. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Trizza
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates