Updated, In-Season Player Rankings...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Updated, In-Season Player Rankings...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Updated, In-Season Player Rankings...?

Postby Super Manny » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Does anyone know of any sites that offer free up-to-date, in-season player rankings...? :-?

A Google search didn't seem to produce any worthwhile results, from what I could see.

Thanks in advance! ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Updated, In-Season Player Rankings...?

Postby DeadWinterDay » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:34 pm

cbs does
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:39 pm

baseballmonster.com is customizable to your league's stats. I use it often - be aware there is a strong bias towards closers in pitcher ratings though -- kind of have to filter them out and look at separately.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flloyd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:15 pm

FantasySportsCentral is the best that I've found and works pretty well although its quite ugly looking. Warning though, use an adblocker because it has tons of ads otherwise.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 am

jswede wrote:baseballmonster.com is customizable to your league's stats. I use it often - be aware there is a strong bias towards closers in pitcher ratings though -- kind of have to filter them out and look at separately.

If I understood the original request was really for projections. That is how players will do from this point through the end of the season.

Baseball Monster provides rankings based on the statistics so far this season. So it shows how players have done, not projections.

I just ran Baseball Monster for NL only with on base percentage and David Wright is "ranked" 33. No way he would be projected outside of the top 5.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 am

flloyd wrote:FantasySportsCentral is the best that I've found and works pretty well although its quite ugly looking. Warning though, use an adblocker because it has tons of ads otherwise.

This might have the same issue as baseball monster, only providing spring training projections and then during the year showing dollar value rankings based on stats the players have already accumulated.

Here is what it says about projections: 2008 Final Baseball Projections 4/5 So, they were updated on 4/5, after the season started. But it says "final". I'm not sure if they update projections during the year. I sent them email to ask.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby neoforce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:33 am

j24jags wrote:
DeadWinterDay wrote:cbs does

cbs rankings are usually pretty bad though. i know rotoworld does them monthly and they are usually pretty good, not sure who has the best ones in season.

Sorry for three replies to one thread, but I am also looking for free in-season player projections, so I replied as I checked each of these out.

It appears Rotoworld does indeed provide in season projections, but they are not free. They are part of the $15 season pass.

So, it seems the only free in season projections found so far are cbs, and nobody thinks those are any good.

Anyone know of any other free in season projections?
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby flloyd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:32 pm

neoforce wrote:
flloyd wrote:FantasySportsCentral is the best that I've found and works pretty well although its quite ugly looking. Warning though, use an adblocker because it has tons of ads otherwise.

This might have the same issue as baseball monster, only providing spring training projections and then during the year showing dollar value rankings based on stats the players have already accumulated.

Here is what it says about projections: 2008 Final Baseball Projections 4/5 So, they were updated on 4/5, after the season started. But it says "final". I'm not sure if they update projections during the year. I sent them email to ask.

Yes, both of these sites provide in-season rankings, as the original poster asked for, not in-season projections. A few sites, such as CBS, provide in-season projections, but I have never been too impressed with their picks. I think it's much better to use pre-season projections and then compare them with in-season rankings and you can get a pretty good idea of current player value.

Another idea that I would love to see implemented is a multi-person player ranking tool. A web site that allows individual to adjust players' rankings as the season progresses and then we could get an idea of how the masses see all players' relative value. Such a website could also compare how each person's rankings compare to season end actual performance and find out what people knew what they were talking about and what people stunk. For instance if today you ranked David Ortiz as the 100th best player and at the end of the season that was his actual fantasy baseball value then you would be ranked as a great evaluator as opposed to all of the people who currently ranked him at let's say #25. Such a site could even reward people who make the most accurate rankings throughout the season.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horste » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:27 pm

http://www.baseballinsights.net/main This site uses dollar values, but has each individuals projected dollar value and then what they are actually doing. I like it, though I like the baseballmoster site as my league is way different. But I recommend using baseballinsights as it is helpful because you can create a portfolio and have them keep track of any players you want. Membership is free so that is also a benefit.
horste
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers