Cliff Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cliff Lee

Postby Spartans Rule » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Any chance this guy could have value?

12 K, 1 BB, 6 H, 1 ER in 14 2/3 IP so far this year. Those numbers are absolutely filthy.

His career numbers don't give me any reason for optimism, but I do recall him being pretty highly touted when he came up. And Cleveland will give him some pretty good run support.

Thoughts?
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cliff Lee

Postby BrooklynBums » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Both his starts were against Oakland though, so take em' with a grain of salt. I still think he could be OK though.
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wingman3110 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:49 pm

BrooklynBums wrote:Both his starts were against Oakland though, so take em' with a grain of salt. I still think he could be OK though.

Oakland has been putting a beating on the Tribe lately though.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Field » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Not sure what to expect from him, but I've had my eye on him for the past 2 weeks. He was definitely servicable in 2005 and he was on a lot of breakout lists heading into the 06 season. He's failed to live up to expectations since then. He's only 29 so there is still hope. I'm interested to hear what some other Cafe members have to say about him.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby NZ Eff » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:Any chance this guy could have value?

12 K, 1 BB, 6 H, 1 ER in 14 2/3 IP so far this year. Those numbers are absolutely filthy.

His career numbers don't give me any reason for optimism, but I do recall him being pretty highly touted when he came up. And Cleveland will give him some pretty good run support.

Thoughts?

In 2005 he won 18 games and lost just 5 with an ERA 3.79 Whip 1.22
Those are very decent numbers so today wasn't a fluke. He was drafted as a Top 20 SP in 2006 but disappointed and had health problems last season.

He is definitely worthy of a roster spot in standard mixed leagues.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Bwanna » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:41 pm

I was one of those that had drafted him in 2006. :,-(

I picked him for a spot start yesterday in two leagues, and I wished I had picked him up in my dynasty league. He may be a keeper. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby jondunc » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Big Tribe fan here. Cliff Lee's start is unlikely to be even close to a representation of his season to come. There was much discussion in ST about whether he'd even make the team, and he's a long way from his 2005 season. Within the organization he has a rap as an unintelligent and stubborn pitcher, relying on one pitch far too often, so if he's somehow broken out of that (his minor league stint last year, perhaps?) it is possible that he could be serviceable, but even then he's far from a sure thing. If you're looking for an underrated Indian, I'd take Westbrook way before Cliff.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:37 pm

jondunc wrote:Big Tribe fan here. Cliff Lee's start is unlikely to be even close to a representation of his season to come. There was much discussion in ST about whether he'd even make the team, and he's a long way from his 2005 season. Within the organization he has a rap as an unintelligent and stubborn pitcher, relying on one pitch far too often, so if he's somehow broken out of that (his minor league stint last year, perhaps?) it is possible that he could be serviceable, but even then he's far from a sure thing. If you're looking for an underrated Indian, I'd take Westbrook way before Cliff.

Another Cleve fan here -- "he has a rap as an unintelligent and stubborn pitcher" is a fact, however.... word was after dreadful 06 and 07 seasons, half-way thru spring he started listening to his pitching coach and began to mix up pitches, speeds and locations better. That's what he credits recent success to. Agree that I'd take Westbrook over him - he added a change and was filthy in spring, after very decent in 2nd half last yr. My feeling is Lee could fall apart at any second.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 pm

In one league I had him for both of his starts against Oakland, seemed like a good spot starter. He gets the Twins, Royals, and Mariners this month, so I'm holding him for now. I'll concur with what others have said, it wouldn't be unprecedented for him to have some value, but don't read too much into it just yet.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby brock middlebrook » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Lee was a mess last year. He opened the year on the DL, struggled and wound up getting into an onfield "altercation" with VMart.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/07/leemartinez_spat_leads_to_team.html

His spring ERA was high, but he had a few good outings

He could be volatile, but decent overall this year.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers