CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Postby Doughhead » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Yeah, I had him benched. I figured I'd be happy anyway if he pitched a good game, just to know he was back. But now I'm kind of ticked at myself for benching him--it was the safe play, but in hindsight, I should have put him in.

He's earned back my trust. I'll be starting him from here on out, regardless of the competition.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm

He looked very good yesterday....like I said in the Game Commentary thread he looked like the guy I thought he was. :-D I'll be starting him every game just like I've done to date. He had the fastball working....up to 96mph and he absolutely pounded the inside of the plate on most hitters. This may have just gave him enough confidence back that he should get back on track. Like I said, he looked like the normall CC to me!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm

J35J wrote:He looked very good yesterday....like I said in the Game Commentary thread he looked like the guy I thought he was. :-D I'll be starting him every game just like I've done to date. He had the fastball working....up to 96mph and he absolutely pounded the inside of the plate on most hitters. This may have just gave him enough confidence back that he should get back on track. Like I said, he looked like the normall CC to me!

Because he filed his taxes correctly. It was off his mind.
When the IRS stop investigating Richie Sexson he'll bust out too. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby guffee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:20 pm

I might wait one more start simply cause he going up against the yankees next and that is very scary. A team who is very patient against a guy who has been giving up walks like crazy could be a disaster waiting to happen.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby horatio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I'd also rather sit him in his next start. I figure, I played him his first 3 and he sucked, I bench him his last game and he did great. In my mind, if I bench him in his next start and he plays great I will be less unhappy than if I play him and he gets shelled.

I mean seriously; play a guy 3 straight games and he gets rocked, bench him and he does very well, play him again and he gets rocked - imagine how P.O'd you'd be.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DisBeAliG » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 pm

His career stats against NYY are pretty rough so I don't know that I would start him if he were pitching like his normal self much less now.
I started him last night, but for a second I thought it was KC 11, Cleveland 0 and I thought to myself "here we go again"
DisBeAliG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't understand you guys. He's an ace and you don't sit your aces no matter what. You're acting like he's a spot starter and you need to sit him against powerful lineups. That's absolutely ridiculous. You didn't draft him or keep him to sit on your bench. You have to live by your initial projections otherwise you'll make stupid mistakes (like benching your ace).
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:57 pm

jfg wrote:I don't understand you guys. He's an ace and you don't sit your aces no matter what. You're acting like he's a spot starter and you need to sit him against powerful lineups. That's absolutely ridiculous. You didn't draft him or keep him to sit on your bench. You have to live by your initial projections otherwise you'll make stupid mistakes (like benching your ace).

;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 pm

jfg wrote:I don't understand you guys. He's an ace and you don't sit your aces no matter what. You're acting like he's a spot starter and you need to sit him against powerful lineups. That's absolutely ridiculous. You didn't draft him or keep him to sit on your bench. You have to live by your initial projections otherwise you'll make stupid mistakes (like benching your ace).

I didn't draft him to give me a 13+ ERA either, and by sitting him I avoided adding 9 ER over 4 IP the other night. Why be stubborn about it and shoot yourself in the foot just because you drafted him as your ace? If someone is doing that much harm to my stats start after start, I'm not just gonna sit by and watch him ruin my pitching. If I had started him the last two times, even with his good start last night he would have given me an 8.1 ERA, so in the end waiting for a good start seems worth it to me.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:47 pm

But now people are saying they are still waiting to see how he does against the Yankees and that's just plain dumb in my opinion. Could he have a rough game? Sure. But, you wouldn't sit any other top 10 pitcher because they're facing the Yankees and CC showed he still has top 10 talent yesterday. Any pitcher could have a rough game against a top offense but an ace could pitch a shutout against the same team. I don't fault anybody for sitting him yesterday (even if he was facing the Royals) but I'm trying to bring some reason to the discussion for people looking for advice and hearing this garbage to bench him again. If CC gives up more than 4 runs they're going to hoot and holler. But, I stick by the fact that you can't bench your stars because you'll be burned by it most of the time.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers