CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Bwanna wrote:I'm not starting him until I see him reverse his current trend, and I'll live with the consequences.

I'm starting him tonight....even if KC wins they will likely only score 4-5 runs max. :,-(
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gatorgreenwell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Sabathia, who went 19-7 and pitched a major-league leading 241 innings while helping the Indians to the American League Championship Series, insists nothing is wrong with his arm, but Chicago White Sox general manager Kenny Williams may know the answer.
"I go back to what history has shown us," Williams said. "When you go through a season when you reach the postseason, there's a fatigue factor.

"When we won (the World Series) in '05, we witnessed the residual effect. You may have the same velocity on your pitches the next year, but the effort has to be increased to get to that velocity, so you sacrifice location and command."

Sabathia, who walked only six batters in September, already has issued 14 walks. He hasn't lasted longer than 5 ⅓ innings in any of his four starts, giving up nine runs in each of his last two starts. He's still throwing 95 mph, but his pinpoint control has disappeared.

"I've got to believe it's fatigue," Williams said. "That being said, I don't think he'll have a bad year. He'll figure it out.

"I just hope he figures it out later than sooner."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... hers_N.htm
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bwanna » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:35 pm

J35J wrote:
Bwanna wrote:I'm not starting him until I see him reverse his current trend, and I'll live with the consequences.

I'm starting him tonight....even if KC wins they will likely only score 4-5 runs max. :,-(

I think you're selling your team short... they've got some bats now. You should know that by now. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby jfg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:51 pm

I definitely started him in a weekly league. You don't bench your so-called ace on a two start week or really ever this early in the season. If he does the same in both of these games then you might sit him, but I think the play here is to gamble that he turns it around with two starts, #1 against KC instead of gambling that he won't turn it around.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:58 pm

jfg wrote:I definitely started him in a weekly league. You don't bench your so-called ace on a two start week or really ever this early in the season. If he does the same in both of these games then you might sit him, but I think the play here is to gamble that he turns it around with two starts, #1 against KC instead of gambling that he won't turn it around.

Curse you. I was very confident all week in my decision to bench him until he turns it around. Now I'm having second thoughts.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Bwanna wrote:
J35J wrote:

I think you're selling your team short... they've got some bats now. You should know that by now. ;D

You haven't watched these first 20 games have you? The team seems to hit the ball ok.....problem is, they are all singles, with an occasional double. No sluggling whatsoever at the moment. If we score 5 in a game...that was a good day! :-°
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

CC so far 6 k's and 3 hits through 2 innings. Looking much better, and more comfortable locating his pitches.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Bwanna wrote:
jfg wrote:I definitely started him in a weekly league. You don't bench your so-called ace on a two start week or really ever this early in the season. If he does the same in both of these games then you might sit him, but I think the play here is to gamble that he turns it around with two starts, #1 against KC instead of gambling that he won't turn it around.

Curse you. I was very confident all week in my decision to bench him until he turns it around. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Thank you. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby guffee » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:06 pm

So, raise your hand if you got burned tonight by keeping CC on your bench?

:-t

:~(

Still good to see.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:08 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm going to laugh when he throws a 1-hitter in his next start after everyone benches him. :-D

Not a 1-hitter, but I'm going to laugh anyway.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. :-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers