CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: CC Sabathia: What's Gone Wrong?

Postby nolanwood » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 am

mkultra wrote:Hill has minimal upside.

:-? :-S

I'd like to see this explanation...
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:35 am

Cobra_Kai wrote:It's part mental, part physical.

I agree with the first, but not the last part. Everything that anyone can measure indicates that his velocity is there. I think he is having problems with the pressure. It started with the playoffs, and it's carried over into the regular season.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Field » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 am

nolanwood wrote:

He probably meant for the 2008 season, which is valid. Overall, he has a solid #2 ceiling, not quite up to CC's level though.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Cow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

rotoquest wrote:
...The real culprit here is lack of command, specifically with his fastball. Sabathia only walked 37 batters in 241.3 innings in 2007 but has already walked 14 in just 18 innings. That 241.3 innings doesn't count the extra 15.3 innings he threw in post season play which represents a large increase in his workload over previous years (210 innings was his previous high). Could Sabathia be worn down? Is there something mechanically wrong?

This a part of an article on CC over at rotoauthority. The article goes on to examine a different release point for CC in 2008 versus 2007 with a scatter plot. For those interested you'll find it right on the front page at
http://www.rotoauthority.com/

Interesting because Carmona also was had a lower release point until his last start. Carmona made the adjustment and pitched much better. Perhaps C.C. will do the same.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:41 am

The Cow wrote:
rotoquest wrote:
...The real culprit here is lack of command, specifically with his fastball. Sabathia only walked 37 batters in 241.3 innings in 2007 but has already walked 14 in just 18 innings. That 241.3 innings doesn't count the extra 15.3 innings he threw in post season play which represents a large increase in his workload over previous years (210 innings was his previous high). Could Sabathia be worn down? Is there something mechanically wrong?

This a part of an article on CC over at rotoauthority. The article goes on to examine a different release point for CC in 2008 versus 2007 with a scatter plot. For those interested you'll find it right on the front page at
http://www.rotoauthority.com/

Interesting because Carmona also was had a lower release point until his last start. Carmona made the adjustment and pitched much better. Perhaps C.C. will do the same.

The Cow

Sometimes a lower release point is a result of an underlying shoulder problem..... It doesn't hold for every instance obviously, but still not a good sign.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Cow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

It could be a shoulder, but if I were C.C. and I had a shoulder problem I would have taken the Tribe's 80 mil and run, rather than risk injury. So since C.C. did not take the 80 mil that tells me he thought he was healthy and could pitch like last year and get 120 mil or so. C.C,'s troubles began in the playoffs so if he were hurt he should have taken the money. I don't think C.C. is dumb enough to pass on 80 mil while hurt, nor do I think the Tribe would offer 80 mil to an injured pitcher. But perhaps C.C. got injured sometime between the end of Spring Training and now, since the offer was out there during Spring Training. Mechanics, tipping pitches and mental are the 3 reasons I give for C.C.'s failure.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Field wrote:
nolanwood wrote:

He probably meant for the 2008 season, which is valid. Overall, he has a solid #2 ceiling, not quite up to CC's level though.

Correct ;-D

I've posted my thoughts on Hill on '08 here.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:46 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:It's part mental, part physical.

I agree with the first, but not the last part. Everything that anyone can measure indicates that his velocity is there. I think he is having problems with the pressure. It started with the playoffs, and it's carried over into the regular season.

Speed of pitches is not the only indicator of physical health. It is quite possible for a pitcher who is fighting an arm injury (depending on location and severity) to not lose any velocity and yet not be able to locate or get enough movement on their pitches.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:19 pm

Quote by CC in the Cleveland Plain Dealer 4/22
"I'm always my worst critic," said Sabathia, who hasn't made it out of the sixth inning in any of his appearances. "It's frustrating that I've pitched four games and not even given my team a chance in any of them. That's unacceptable."

Facing the Royals (9-10) hasn't been a problem for Sabathia, however. He is 13-8 with a 3.38 ERA in 28 meetings against them.
http://cleveland.stats.com/mlb/preview.asp?g=280422107

Tonite's the night he turns things around.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm not starting him until I see him reverse his current trend, and I'll live with the consequences.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 271)

PreviousNext