Ortiz continues to struggle. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz continues to struggle.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ortiz continues to struggle.

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 am

Matthias wrote:
J35J wrote:Who really knows if Lidge for Ortiz is a bad trade....really? What happens if in a couple weeks Ortiz goes down with season ending surgery or plays through the pain and discomfort and puts up a .260 / 25 / 90 year and Lidge regains old dominance

This is always the weakest argument people use... you never know, so who can judge. Maybe some guy is like Mike Francesa and likes Brandon Inge... a lot. And maybe he really despises A-Rod. So Inge for A-Rod... who can say? Sure... let it go!!! I don't know anything! He's a big boy!!

Do you take the same attitude in any other part of your life? Your friend tells you, "So, I just spent $500 on a pizza" do you silently nod and think, "Ah. He really likes pizza. I guess I should respect his autonomy" or do you slap him around and say, "Dude, I could've gotten you any pizza in the city for thirty bucks. What are you thinking?!?!"

J35J wrote:Vetos are for cheating/collusion, IMHO.

How do you know when that is?

If people want to talk about bad trades vs. collusion, there's a thread dedicated to it so people don't get duped into reading petty squabbling when they're looking for news on Big Papi.

Ugh...whatever. :-°

Back to your regularly scheduled thread......
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:08 am

J35J wrote:
Matthias wrote:
J35J wrote:Who really knows if Lidge for Ortiz is a bad trade....really? What happens if in a couple weeks Ortiz goes down with season ending surgery or plays through the pain and discomfort and puts up a .260 / 25 / 90 year and Lidge regains old dominance

This is always the weakest argument people use... you never know, so who can judge. Maybe some guy is like Mike Francesa and likes Brandon Inge... a lot. And maybe he really despises A-Rod. So Inge for A-Rod... who can say? Sure... let it go!!! I don't know anything! He's a big boy!!

Do you take the same attitude in any other part of your life? Your friend tells you, "So, I just spent $500 on a pizza" do you silently nod and think, "Ah. He really likes pizza. I guess I should respect his autonomy" or do you slap him around and say, "Dude, I could've gotten you any pizza in the city for thirty bucks. What are you thinking?!?!"

J35J wrote:Vetos are for cheating/collusion, IMHO.

How do you know when that is?

If people want to talk about bad trades vs. collusion, there's a thread dedicated to it so people don't get duped into reading petty squabbling when they're looking for news on Big Papi.

Ugh...whatever. :-°

Back to your regularly scheduled thread......

lol QFT
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gfantasy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am

To end this debate, I think that we can all agree that the Veto Option is for collusion and cheating. I also think that we can all admit that the Veto button ensures credibility of the league and gives ownership to all people involved. The type of system (amount of vetos, commish interaction, etc.) all rely on the league chemistry but I think that we're all on point with the principle.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am

more importantly...who's paying $30 for a pizza? does it come with fantasy advice or a sprinkle of crack or something?

and i opened this thread today after i saw what big papi did this weekend hoping someone who watched the game had some insite....so did he look like the papi of old and can we expect him to be "back"
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm

I was roped into a league votes league this year, which I try not to participate in, but it was a bunch of college buddies so I played in it. So far this year there have been at least 5 trades that were vetoed and all of it has been focused on one player who obviously does not know what he is doing. So everyone has taken it upon themselves to veto every trade he accepts. Well it has now carried over into other trades. I had a trade vetoed in which I traded Prince Fielder, because I have a surplus of power on my team, for Corey Hart and Volquez. It is a good trade for my team, but others disagree so it got axed. So I will continue to route every single team in that league in homeruns, while not being competitive in SBs or Wins.

Definitely the last time I participate in one of these ridiculous leagues. Don't veto unless there is collusion. I would rather deal with the bad trades that are made, then to deal with idiot players assigning their values to my players.

Just hate leagues like this.

BAck to the original topic,

Ortiz looks to be fine now...shocker. The only frustration I have with him is that he will now start clearing the bases and Manny will lose some RBIs due to that.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:50 pm

Russell James wrote:BAck to the original topic,

Ortiz looks to be fine now...shocker. The only frustration I have with him is that he will now start clearing the bases and Manny will lose some RBIs due to that.

I wouldn't go that far. He's had some balls fall in but one of his hits yesterday was him legging out a grounder versus the shift (and he probably was out). Today he got a double when Milton Bradley lost the ball in the sun and fell backwards in LF... scored out of town, Ortiz doesn't get a hit scored for it. As was, he was given a double.

He's still not hitting the ball with authority... even ignoring the missing HRs, when me makes contact, it's not the doubles or even singles that smoke out to the wall.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smalls2598 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Papi is 2-4 today with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. sweet
smalls2598
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ggs » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Matthias wrote:I wouldn't go that far. He's had some balls fall in but one of his hits yesterday was him legging out a grounder versus the shift (and he probably was out). Today he got a double when Milton Bradley lost the ball in the sun and fell backwards in LF... scored out of town, Ortiz doesn't get a hit scored for it. As was, he was given a double.

He's still not hitting the ball with authority... even ignoring the missing HRs, when me makes contact, it's not the doubles or even singles that smoke out to the wall.

thanks for the insight, good to know.
ggs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

I think he is swinging the bat much better. A week ago his balance was horrible. A few errors may get him going.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Matthias wrote:
Russell James wrote:BAck to the original topic,

I wouldn't go that far. He's had some balls fall in but one of his hits yesterday was him legging out a grounder versus the shift (and he probably was out). Today he got a double when Milton Bradley lost the ball in the sun and fell backwards in LF... scored out of town, Ortiz doesn't get a hit scored for it. As was, he was given a double.

He is not hitting with quite the authority you would want to see, however that single yesterday was smoked. That a player was even able to get a glove on it (in right field) was pretty impressive. Without the shift that is a hit, so it isn't like that was just luck.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers