100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Victorino to DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Victorino to DL

Postby EverybodyHits » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:00 am

Victorino on the DL

Now who's going to hit leadoff?

The Phillies placed centerfielder Shane Victorino on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right calf after tonight's 7-1 victory over the Cubs. Victorino injured the calf scoring from third on a wild pitch. The Phillies have purchased the contract of outfielder Chris Snelling from triple-A Lehigh Valley. Unless Jimmy Rollins plays in tomorrow's series finale against the Cubs, you have to wonder how Charlie Manuel will work his lineup.

get well shane!

i would expect jayson werth to be the primary replacement and he could be a very hot pickup, as he was last year.
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Victorino to DL

Postby TheBambino » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:06 am

dammit@

Jeter, Krod, MCab, Kendrick, Gallardo and now Victorino!!! This must stop sometime!
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby philly4life553 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:12 am

if he is going to miss a lot of time, i would like them to call up golson from reading. he has been off to a good start. if not werth can do the job! hopefully rollins will be back tommorrow but will most likely be out till tuesday.
philly4life553
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby smoovethug » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 am

philly4life553 wrote:if he is going to miss a lot of time, i would like them to call up golson from reading. he has been off to a good start. if not werth can do the job! hopefully rollins will be back tommorrow but will most likely be out till tuesday.

Chris Snelling got called up. Hopefully he's not out too long though but those calf injuries can linger and definitely hamper a base stealer. Ugh.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby flloyd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 am

Yeah right now I have Kazmir, B.J. Ryan, Gallardo, Harden and Victorino on the DL although we only have 2 DL spots and 5 bench spots so I'm really getting screwed with injuries.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:51 am

flloyd wrote:Yeah right now I have Kazmir, B.J. Ryan, Gallardo, Harden and Victorino on the DL although we only have 2 DL spots and 5 bench spots so I'm really getting screwed with injuries.

Kazmir - Started the season on the DL
Ryan - Started the season on the DL
Gallardo - Started the season on the DL
Harden - Starts the season with a reservation on the DL... "Table for 1, please!"
Victorino - Relatively unpredicatable

If you think you're screwed with injuries.... I think I know who is doing the screwing.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flloyd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:59 am

Matthias wrote:
flloyd wrote:Yeah right now I have Kazmir, B.J. Ryan, Gallardo, Harden and Victorino on the DL although we only have 2 DL spots and 5 bench spots so I'm really getting screwed with injuries.

Kazmir - Started the season on the DL
Ryan - Started the season on the DL
Gallardo - Started the season on the DL
Harden - Starts the season with a reservation on the DL... "Table for 1, please!"
Victorino - Relatively unpredicatable

If you think you're screwed with injuries.... I think I know who is doing the screwing.

Well to be fair, Kazmir was one of my keepers that I picked over 2 weeks before the start of the season so his start time has been bumped back a lot since then, similar story with Ryan, and Gallardo I didn't realize while I was drafting as I hadn't been targeting him. Harden was obviously an injury risk but showed no signs during spring training. And Victorino I feel was out of the blue as no one had really been warning of him being a big injury risk. I definitely took my risks with injured players, I'm just bummed that none of them have gone my way so far really, although I'm certainly glad that Smoltz is off to a great start (he also got injured the around the day that we drafted).
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Don G. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 am

Damn....I just picked him up too. Oh well, he's just gonna take a spot on my bench. I wasn't planning on actually using him anytime soon since he's been slumping. Hope he's back at some point soon though.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tigers2006 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:21 pm

IMO -- I think his value is taking a huge hit. Realistically, at the beginning of the season, he was looking like he will max out at about 150 games, .280 BA, 80 Runs, 15 HRs, and maybe 50 RBI. There are a lot of players who will put those numbers up, except for the 35-40 SB potential. But, with that again-sprained calf (which killed his SBs last season, not to mention overall play), his SB potential takes a serious hit and just puts him with the average OF group.

I hate to say it, but maybe I should have picked up Andruw Jones in the draft instead :-S
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guzman24 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Didn't Victorino hurt his calf last season too??? :-?
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates