Cycling/Streaming Occuring Already. Punishments? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Cycling/Streaming Occuring Already. Punishments?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cycling/Streaming Occuring Already. Punishments?

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 am

in my league that does not allow streaming the rule and the punishment was CLEARLY stated in the league rules before the draft. After the fact rules and punishmenst will be difficult to add.

Our rules are no more than two SP adds in a week. (a week is monday-sunday)
1st violation is your roster is frozen for the next week
2nd violation is your roster is frozen for 2 weeks
3td violation is your roster is frozen the rest of the year
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:49 am

Matthias wrote:Well, obviously the commissioner did, if he warned the league of it before the season starts.

Yeah, but I meant to ask, did he one day just post a message on the board that said, "hey, streaming sucks. don't do it," which many people would have ignored, or did they have a conversation about it and everyone pretty much understood the deal?

If he just sort of threw down a general edict that had no specifics and no one commented on it, I would probably side with the streamer and say, "hey commish, get with the program. If you want a rule added, you have to make sure we understand it."

BTW, I hate streaming, but I don't think anyone's a jerk for doing it. I just think you should configure the league to prevent it. If the league allows it, then it's a perfectly valid strategy. Just not a fun way to play, IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:28 pm

noseeum wrote:
Matthias wrote:Well, obviously the commissioner did, if he warned the league of it before the season starts.

Yeah, but I meant to ask, did he one day just post a message on the board that said, "hey, streaming sucks. don't do it," which many people would have ignored, or did they have a conversation about it and everyone pretty much understood the deal?

If he just sort of threw down a general edict that had no specifics and no one commented on it, I would probably side with the streamer and say, "hey commish, get with the program. If you want a rule added, you have to make sure we understand it."

Fair enough. And that's why my recommendation was warning for this offense with an email to the league saying, "Hey, guys, get with the program."

And then you penalize from there forward.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Newkie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Personally as a commish, I just set the moves (50) to something that would prevent steaming to a huge extent. You will still have a little of it, but thats alright. If someone still wants to pick up 3 pitchers a week, then in the long run, he will soon run out of moves to keep him competitive. Especially at playoff time.
If it wasnt inked in the rules, I would just let it be with a small mention of it, and ride the season out.
You will be less stressed, and you will at least know not to invite that person back if it upsets you so.

Newkie
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Motown Blues wrote:I'm confused.

How can you impose penalties for something you just don't like (streaming), without creating settings to address it? The way you make it sound, he's playing within the rules and simply trying to win. If you limit the # of moves managers can make, then the streaming issue takes care of itself. Why not set the league up this way instead of "warning" people? Otherwise, how do you draw the line? What's considered "streaming?" Three pitchers starting in one day? Well, what about three in three days? Or two in two days? What about if Westbrook starts to suck, and I go pick up Volquez but he happens to start the next day. Is that streaming? Can a manager pick up ANY starters? Ever? Is it only streaming if you pick up starters when you are behind and trying to catch up? Please don't tell me you know it when you see it, because that just won't fly. My point is, you have to define it, or you will have arguments. You have stated to the league that they cannot stream, which has some sort of measurable pickup/drop (to you). So...why not just put this in the rules to begin with? Talk to the league, and come up with a "move" cap and add it to the settings (if possible).

I don't see how you can penalize him. Just my opinion ;-D And for that matter...why are people so against streaming, anyway? Another interesting part of fantasy baseball. And anyway, it often doesn't work (ERA, WHIP), and it can be countered.

Agree 107%.

It's your fault for not setting a moves limit before the season, not the manager's fault for employing a wise strategy. You should let it go for this year and then vote on a limit next season.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Also, I "streamed" three pitchers yesterday in order to win my matchup, in a league with a move limit, so I actually had to think about it. It just so happened that they all pitched very well and I'll be holding on to them for the time being. Would my actions be "punishable" since what I did was clearly streaming despite the result? That's another issue to consider. Very tough to enforce. You're going to piss off a lot of people making subjective judgments about who's streaming and who's not.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner