Soriano going to be a Met? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano going to be a Met?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano going to be a Met?

Postby djacks » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:14 pm

CBSsportsline is reporting the the Mets are trying to acquire Soriano and might send Jose Reyes and some minor leaguers to the Rangers.

What are the implications of this? Do you really think it will happen?

Why in the world would the Rangers want to trade a superstar that has a decent salary and won't be a free agent for two more years???
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fumbler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:18 pm

See this thread for more discussion.

Personally, i think the Rangers are nuts. If they're gonna trade Soriano, it should at least be for a pitcher or two.
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ssjl » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:40 pm

Speaking as a Mets fan they must trade Reyes to get Soriano.The mets fans in this town are in love with Reyes. I don't mind the 8 year difference. Reyes was touted the ss of the future in NY.With all the holes this friggin team had in the offseason what do they do ? Only the Mets address a position they already have filled by signing Kaz Matsui who I am sure will do just fine.To get a proven hitter such as Soriano is a no brainer.Sure he has his weaknesses defensively & he needs to improve his plate discipline but the ball jumps off this guys bat. He is a stud.The Mets better not blow this one.
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:44 pm

When did you see this report? I just went to sportsline.com and there is nothing there about it. Just a story about the Rangers thinking about playing Soriano at SS.....
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby lesgrant » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:46 pm

I hope the Mets can make that happen. It’s about time their front office wakes up!
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:33 am

lesgrant wrote:I hope the Mets can make that happen. It’s about time their front office wakes up!

ESPN reported Soriano is upset about being moved. Texas talked to NY for Reyes, and NY said they weren't interested.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:02 am

The Mets would have to be INSANE to trade Reyes and pitching prospects for Soriano.

Just because Soriano is a good fantasy player does not mean he would fit well on the Mets. First of all, anyone who follows the Mets knows that a huge offense is not the key to them winning. Pitching, speed, and defense is what has made for winning Mets teams in the past. By giving away Reyes and pitchers, they would deplete themseves at all three categories, while only marginally improving themselves in one category (speed). Soriano is an average defender AT BEST. Plus, Soriano strikes out WAY too much.

His only real advantages over Reyes are experience and power (and he falls far short of Reyes in defensive ability, ability to make contact, affordability and age).

Shea Stadium is not a hitters park. The Mets have finally woken up and realized that they can't win by just trying to import big boppers - so they're not about to turn stupid and go back to their mistakes of the last 3 years.

Now, I'm not saying that acquiring Soriano wouldn't be good for the Mets. But under no circumstances should they part with Reyes in order to do it!!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:24 am

i agree, parting with their centrepiece player for the future would be bad for them.

tell you one thing tho, if soriano gets traded to the mets, im trading him the hell off my fantasy team. right now having him on my team, and moving to texas has me looking pretty nice.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby swingaway » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:26 am

in a block buster deal the rangers trade sornaio to the rockies for preston wilson ans shawn chacon :-B
I can dream cant i :-B
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KULCAT » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:36 am

Reyes can be as good as Soriano in everything but power and with time he could hit 15-20 hr. Think Vidro with speed
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers