A Confusing Kitty: Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Confusing Kitty: Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Confusing Kitty: Verlander

Postby The River » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Before the baseball season began, I figured Verlander would have an excellent shot at winning the AL Cy Young, with a good possibility of 20+ Wins. Now its his third start and his season ERA is a disgusting 6.52 and has yet to win a game? What is wrong with this man?!

I know it is only the second week of the season, but he has been rocked pretty much every start. Although his last two starts against the White Sox were ruined by a few moments (Swisher home run last sunday, bad 8th inning today) I believe I feel myself questioning my supposed Cy Young canidate.

Thoughts?
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A Confusing Kitty: Verlander

Postby The Jury » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:50 pm

He is a perennial Cy Young candidate but he's not pitching like one at the moment. Give him time to get it together though - he's a top pitcher.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smoovethug » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:08 pm

It's early, be patient.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:20 pm

I would imagine it's pretty safe to say he got left in too long today. How many pitches was he at after 7?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby PyRo8 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Inukchuk wrote:I would imagine it's pretty safe to say he got left in too long today. How many pitches was he at after 7?

i forgot the number but i think it was high 80's. he was pretty stellar through those first 7 innings allowing only 2 hits. then they got to him in the 8th. 3 more runs scored before he was pulled by leyland and 2 more runs were charged to him when the bullpen allowed hit, walk, hit before being able to record ONE out. so 5 runs total were charged to verlander that inning.

being a verlander owner right now, it's pretty irritating because in both games i've tracked, verlander has pitched fairly well. but once he ran into trouble or got over that 100 pitch count, leyland would replace him and the bullpen would allow all the inherited baserunners to score so they were charged to verlander. other than a few innings here and there, i'd say verlander hasnt been a disappointment so far. it's just that none of us really thought that the ineptitude of the bullpen would raise verlander's era.
PyRo8
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:14 pm

The biggest problem with Verlander is the Detroit bullpen. Leyland does not trust anyone in the bullpen, so he's leaving his starters in an inning too long. Verlander was cruising until the 8th and looked tremendous in the process. Once again the wheels fell off and Leyland didn't take him out until he absolutely had to. The crappy bullpen also allowed the runners to score.

I'm afraid it's going to be a long season for Detroit's starters until Rodney and Zumaya get back. Which sucks, because I have Bonderman and Verlander in my money league. I should have seen this coming, lesson learned for next year to try to focus on starters that also have solid bullpens.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rotoquest » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:50 pm

PyRo8 wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:I would imagine it's pretty safe to say he got left in too long today. How many pitches was he at after 7?

i forgot the number but i think it was high 80's. he was pretty stellar through those first 7 innings allowing only 2 hits. then they got to him in the 8th. 3 more runs scored before he was pulled by leyland and 2 more runs were charged to him when the bullpen allowed hit, walk, hit before being able to record ONE out. so 5 runs total were charged to verlander that inning.

being a verlander owner right now, it's pretty irritating because in both games i've tracked, verlander has pitched fairly well. but once he ran into trouble or got over that 100 pitch count, leyland would replace him and the bullpen would allow all the inherited baserunners to score so they were charged to verlander. other than a few innings here and there, i'd say verlander hasnt been a disappointment so far. it's just that none of us really thought that the ineptitude of the bullpen would raise verlander's era.

He should never had come out in the eigth. That's Leyland's fault!
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:05 am

I love Verlander....he's got crazy good stuff. I think his problem is still his control and I'm not neccessarily talking about actual walks, even though those need to be put in check, but just having too many mistakes out over the plate. I still like him but like Cain he can be frustrating to own.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 pm

J35J wrote:I love Verlander....he's got crazy good stuff. I think his problem is still his control and I'm not neccessarily talking about actual walks, even though those need to be put in check, but just having too many mistakes out over the plate. I still like him but like Cain he can be frustrating to own.

Bingo! V has trouble keeping the ball down in the strike zone and when he takes something off to get a pitch over it's pretty hitable. He also hasn't gotten his curve working with any consistancy. If he can start off with a decent curve and keep the ball low he will live up to the hype. A little run support would go a long way too, and that will be coming any day now.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ek » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:39 pm

I wouldn't be that concerned about him individually as of yet. He's had a lot of inherited runners charged to him. Additionally, two of his first three starts have been against the White Sox, against whom his career numbers are absolutely terrible (current White Sox have an .862 OPS against Verlander, and before yesterday's game he was 1-4 with a 5.96 ERA against the Sox). Of greater concern is Detroit's rough start...if they end up being a .500 team or worse this year it is going to be hard for any of their starters to win 15-20.
Ek
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers