Down goes Jose Reyes! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Down goes Jose Reyes!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Down goes Jose Reyes!

Postby BBlinn13 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm

wildbill wrote:
BBlinn13 wrote:PS what SS would you rather have to open a new stadium in '09? Jeter(34yrs old) or Reyes(24years old)?

Yeah Jeter is getting old, but Reyes is a one trick pony, take away his legs and he's nothing. I'd rather have Rollins (when healthy) or Han Ram, power and speed.

reluctantly agree (I am a Met fan, but it is what it is...call it a toss up)...wouldnt mind if i had any of the 3 over Jeter though. Talking as a ball player not fantasy-wise
[
BBlinn13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 pm

BBlinn13 wrote:
Y`s Guy wrote:The guy has like 2 SB attempts since last September 21st. This hammy injury ain't slowing him down. His weak heart has done that already.

Spoken like a true Yankee fan. Worry about Boston and what not...

For the record most Met fans dont hate the Yankees (they are a good team whats not to like?) But we as Met fans loath Yankee FANS. (Arrogant and Unrealistic-as a whole, I am definatly generalizing)

PS what SS would you rather have to open a new stadium in '09? Jeter(34yrs old) or Reyes(24years old)?

Not a Met hater at all. Just a Reyes owner in my big H2H league..
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby skjelstrom » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Im with Wild Bill Rollins and Han Ram over both any day.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:28 pm

His weak heart? What does that even mean?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 am

I just see Jose as more flash and glitz than toughness and will.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:I just see Jose as more flash and glitz than toughness and will.

Dude, this is baseball. What does toughness and will have to do with it?

Fantasy Hockey/Football Cafe can be accessed from the top navigation bar.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:28 pm

DbacksRback wrote:hamstings can linger and really take away a speedstes value i really do seeing this make him cut down on his sb even if its a tweak

like i said i really see his hammy to hold him back a little and prevent him from being an elite sb man

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Tony1028 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:29 pm

BBlinn13 wrote:
Y`s Guy wrote:The guy has like 2 SB attempts since last September 21st. This hammy injury ain't slowing him down. His weak heart has done that already.

Spoken like a true Yankee fan. Worry about Boston and what not...

For the record most Met fans dont hate the Yankees (they are a good team whats not to like?) But we as Met fans loath Yankee FANS. (Arrogant and Unrealistic-as a whole, I am definatly generalizing)

PS what SS would you rather have to open a new stadium in '09? Jeter(34yrs old) or Reyes(24years old)?

For someone who doesn't hate the Yankees, you sure fired back real quick.
Tony1028 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Nomarrrrrrrrrr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Apparently you guys, and especially you Met fans, don't watch too many Met games. Reyes is a great distraction when he is on base and when he isn't on base the Mets offense is lackluster. He energizes the team with his kid like antics and excitement to play and then when he gets on base everyone is watching him to see if he is going to steal, including the opposing pitcher. Rollins has a little more pop but he is no better at getting on base than Reyes is and he certainly doesn't have the speed Reyes does. Hanley is hands down the best overall offensive talent of the 3. I don't get to see Hanley play much so I can't speak for his defense but Rollins and Reyes have great range and good arms. Reyes especially has a quick and strong release that a good SS needs. So you can say Rollins is much better than Reyes but as a leadoff hitter he isn't much better if at all. The extra homeruns don't mean that much from the leadoff spot and he scores so many runs because he has a better lineup behind him. Fantasy wise Rollins is better but in real life they are pretty equal. Hanley is better in both realms. Rollins is also 5 years older than Reyes and if you look at his numbers 5 years ago they don't come near what Reyes does now. If he develops a better eye at the plate he could easily surpass what Rollins is doing now by a lot.
Nomarrrrrrrrrr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:Apparently you guys, and especially you Met fans, don't watch too many Met games. Reyes is a great distraction when he is on base and when he isn't on base the Mets offense is lackluster. He energizes the team with his kid like antics

Pretty sure firejoemorgan would have a field day if someone tried to use 'kid-like antics' as an argument for value to a team.

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:So you can say Rollins is much better than Reyes but as a leadoff hitter he isn't much better if at all. The extra homeruns don't mean that much from the leadoff spot and he scores so many runs because he has a better lineup behind him.

1. The extra homeruns don't mean AS much. But they mean something. Rollins outhomered Reyes by 28 last season. What a coincidence, he also outscored Reyes by 20 runs! Oh, and about 40 more RBIs! Where did all those extra counting stats come from? Oh right, b/c a home run is also a run and an RBI.

2. Rollins's lineup is better? Um, Mets have Carlos Beltran and reigning MVP David Wright along w/ declining/inconsistent slugger Delgados, it's not like Dave Concepcion is hitting 3rd for them. Phillies have Chase Utley, 2006 MVP Ryan Howard, declining/inconsistent slugger Pat Burrell. Say what you will, it's not so clear who has the better lineup on any given day behind him.

I will admit you have a very valid argument w/ age. Rollins's stats will level off or decline slightly, while Reyes will likely improve to the point where he hits 25 and steals 60 to be MVP/fantasy MVP w/in the next 3 years.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates