batting help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

batting help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

batting help

Postby ivan » Wed May 15, 2002 12:18 pm

In 5x5, pitching is keeping me afloat. Already have Pudge and W.Miller on IL. (Max. of 2 on IL) What should I do with Radke?

SP-Unit, Glavine, Ishii, Padilla, Prior(grabbed him too early???)
RP- Gagne, Graves, Wagner
Available: Nunez, Julio, Izzy

Only strong in HR. Yikes!
IF-AJ, Hall, E.Young, Ventura, Tejada, Delgado
OF-Erstad, L.Walker, A.Jones, Drew, Berk.
U-R.Palmeiro, Spivey

Available: A.Ramirez, Eckstein, Vina, Cox, E.Martinez, R.Henderson, Tatis, Abernathy

Who could I fetch or target for Hall?
Will Young lose his spot? Thinking of dropping him but might come back and haunt me in SB. Who could I fetch if I tried to trade him.
Will Kearns have a FT spot? If grab him, who would you drop?

Thanks.

What kind of tinkering should I do?
ivan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed May 15, 2002 7:28 pm

A couple questions first:

How many pitchers do you start at once? Daily lineup changes? What sort of innings pitched or games limits for pitchers does your league have? And how many of those hitters are actually starting? Is this a no-bench league?

If you do have a bench, I'd grab two of the three (Izzy certainly, and most likely Nunez) available closers before reading the rest of this post, dropping Young and your choice of Miller and Radke, leaving the other on the DL.

If not, it gets trickier...

In that case, I'd probably try to trade Miller at a bargain price, and then shift Radke to the DL. No, I certainly don't think you grabbed Prior too early. If you had waited until now, he would most likely be gone.

Izzy would be an upgrade over Graves, especially since we still can't be sure how this never-ending Return of Jeff Shaw saga will turn out.

I'd give up on Young. Sure, he might yet heat up, but it's probably not worth the roster space to find out. Spivey is your man at 2b now. Kearns should play full time - grab him until you see any indications that he won't.

I'd also think hard about dropping Ventura for Ramirez if Ramirez looks like he's back at full strength.

Who can you fetch for Hall? Does it have to be a catcher?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

hunt

Postby cwebb » Thu May 16, 2002 11:37 am

In my hunt for a championship I already dropped Eric Young and Toby Hall this season! Hall has been a stinker and I'd be surprised to see someone paying much if anything for him!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu May 16, 2002 12:57 pm

Definitely drop Young. Spivey's been golden at 2B. Almost any catcher would be better than Toby Hall. Heck, no catcher would probably be better. See if any team has a backup catcher that's better than Hall and see if you can work out a trade. Trading someone like Padilla for a Jason LaRue or Michael Barrett would probably help you out. If possible, pull a reverse two-for-one... that is, try and get a #4 or #5 pitcher and a decent catcher in return for Padilla or Ishii. Or else, see if you can trade Gagne for a #3 pitcher and a catcher. Especially if you can pick up saves off the waiver wire.

Your OF is solid. Not much room for improvement there.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Batting

Postby Ivan » Thu May 16, 2002 3:09 pm

Thanks for the useful tips. My CNNSI mixed 5x5 league has weekly changes. Max of 24 spots (22 with 2 on DL). Minimum 3950AB and 900IP. Minimum of 5 pitchers in active lineup (Assuming SP).

The reverse 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 is an interesting idea! Hmm, know if only an owner will bite. :) Just dropped Young for Kearns (wow! he's amazing! hope he doesn't slump right after I picked him up. hate it when that happens, don't you?)

As for what Hall will fetch? Come to think of it, it's kind of a hard to answer. Not much leverage as of now so thinking of packaging him along with Ventura and maybe a pitcher. Throw names out that would be comparable (those I should try to acquire) just to give me an idea since i'm rookie.

Pitching is easier to fill than hitting right? Since RP and spot starters can easily contribute to categories than batters can. Thinking Unit and prior are the only untouchables. Who should I target? Guys who doing poorly but will turn it up? e.g. Hudson, Zito (for Glavine and package), Mussina. I give up 2 then coul replace with RP or long reliever.

Shall I drop Raffi and grab Aramis in the meantime? Raffi's got the amazing lineup and good ballpark though. Hes never been on DL but thinking is to have young, healthy guys. Hmm...

Fantasy games seem fun but yet hard at times. Way too much maneuvering. Thanks.
Ivan

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 6:17 pm

I also like the reverse 2-for-1 idea. Very interesting in this situation...

I think half the folks on this site are hoping Kearns doesn't slump now, at least not before Encarnacion leaves town. We'll see, but I like Kearns' chances.

At the moment, Hall will fetch you extremely little unless you find someone desperate for a catcher who sees him as the best available gamble. The only names that seem comparable are other underachievers that others might be giving up on (Cedeno, for instance?).

Hudson in particular seems like a great guy to target now, especially when the sting of his last poor outing is still fresh.

Palmeiro or Ramirez is tough. Since you may at some point want to upgrade Ventura, ramirez just might get the nod.

And yeah, fantasy games aren't easy. But the maneuvering, the speculation, the dealing and the mind games are all part of the fun! :-D

Oh yes - I'm not sure I'd call Prior untouchable at this point. He's being hyped to such an unbelievable level that you may get ridiculous offers for him.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Fair offer?

Postby Ivan » Thu May 23, 2002 2:48 pm

offered following to 1st place team. Ahead in batting(47) and fairly low in pitching. My 2nd place team is quite even in both

Him: Delgado, A.Jones, Ventura, Ishii, Graves
Me: Giambi, Magglio, Glaus, Zito

Did I embarrass myself? He only had Nen as RP. Thought about Radke or W.Miller instead of Graves. He could replace Livan with them. Should I have tried to pry Molina from him?

Lineup is at btm except Durazo and Kearns in place of Raffi and Young. With Miller and Radke back soon, have to start them and drop a pitcher. No reserves. Tried to trade away pitching but no luck. Fear I have too many rookies/youngsters on my team.

Will any of these help me? B.Giles(for Kearns), D.Young, Estella, C.Miller,Irabu, A.Sanchez. Glad picked up Erstad. Thanks to whoever gave that advice.

Thought about following offers. Fair?
1) Padilla (reluctant to trade him. really liking him)and Spivey for Soriano.

2)Padilla, Gagne, Drew, AJ, Tejada for P.Abbott, Reese, Vlad, Loduca //figure replace with Eckstein. person has S.Alomar (worth targeting??)

3)Padilla, Radke, AJ, Drew for Barrett, D'Amico, Mussina, Burrell (would only keep Moose and Barrett) //person has Piazza

Whom should I package in a trade: Drew or Walker?

Next time I'll join a league with reserves. More flexibility.
Thanks! Bye for now! ;D
Ivan

Hudson/Posada for Padilla and Bastista

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 4:50 pm

Do you like this trade?

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 6:06 pm

Speaking of Tim Hudson...

Do you like the trade for Hudson/Posada for Padilla and Bastista?

Postby Arlo » Fri May 24, 2002 10:07 am

Assorted thoughts...

I like Hudson/Posada significantly more than Padilla/Batista.

The Giambi+ for Delgado+ offer favors you by a huge margin. You may wind up getting part of that deal done, however, if the other team needs a closer. You won't get the whole package, but this looks like a good configuration to make a trade and receive a solid upgrade.

Giles and Irabu are both valuable players to have, and Estalella bears watching. Good move picking up Erstad.

Padilla/Spivey for Soriano might work if the other side needs pitching. I'd certainly ask about this.

I'm not sure about the Vlad deal. Guerrero is huge, but you might not profit from this deal.

Moose is certainly a great player to target as well.

Drew or Walker is a tough call. Both are excellent, and both are injury risks 8Walker much more so). You can probably be flexible and see which player brings you a higher return.

Lots of options... hope this helps a bit.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers